Hilary's Reviews > The Sandman, Vol. 5: A Game of You

1702050
May 15, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, fiction, graphic-novel, horror, mars-book, series, 2011
Read from May 15 to 16, 2011

The first thing I noticed about this volume was that it was dedicated to Jonathan Carroll. Less than two pages in, I realized why. How cool is it to realize that the book (graphic novel, whatever) you're reading dovetails with a book you read less than a month ago? How cool is it when you learn that it did this without even meaning to? Long live Martin Tenbones, then!

This book is classic Carroll, though A Game of You and Bones of the Moon were written independently. A Game of You is engaging, beautifully illustrated, and something worth a fair bit of contemplation. Irony is in abundance, and the questions of identity are many. Once more, this is a story that veers away from the Sandman as a character, and instead studies what would appear as mundane.. were it not for the fact that the magical realism is abundant.

I can't decide if I like this better than the previous installment, but I can say this: this series just keeps getting better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sandman, Vol. 5.

05/16/2011 page 89