Dee's Reviews > Soft in the Head

Soft in the Head by Marie-Sabine Roger

liked it

3.5 Stars

This was a touching read though somewhat short. Germain is a 45 year old "halfwit" who leads a dull life, growing up with an abusive mother and being bullied in school by teachers as well as students. He is practically illiterate and has not given himself a chance to develop any skills or succeed in life. He's not stupid or naive, he realises that he is slower than others and doesn't get ideas or concepts that come easily to everyone else. The poor guy just had a shitty upbringing where no one gave him the attention he needed, so you cant really blame him.
One day he meets Margueritte, this tiny old lady whilst counting pigeons in the park. They form a friendship and for the first time someone is paying attention to him. He starts questioning things and has an impulse to learn how to read and better himself. I love that she started to read out loud to him which sparked his interest in stories and the world, where there are things beyond his sheltered bubble. His romantic interest is quite sweet and you see his character develop and soften toward others.
The reason why I gave this a 3.5 star rating is due to character development. I don't think there was enough of it. I wanted to see more details of his life, more about his struggles with reading and more about his friends. I really did enjoy this book and would recommend it without a doubt, i just wanted more. I was only really absorbed into the story about 20 percent of the way in, and didn't love any of the characters.
Yet the story resonates with me hours after i had finished it. It makes me want to care more about everything and improve myself as well. It points out how special reading and stories are and how someone with a little faith in you can make such a tremendous difference in your life. Read this! Its short but important.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soft in the Head.

July 1, 2016 – Started Reading