Aaron Bunce's Reviews > Nemesis Games

Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey

Sep 14, 2016

Nemesis Games...The Expanse #5. Where to begin? To start, I thoroughly enjoyed Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, but I struggled with Cibola Burn and Abaddon's Gate. Whereas the first two books stayed relatively close to the primary characters, and only strayed to add series mainstays like Bobby Draper and "Chrissy", books 3 & 4 drifted, almost aimlessly at times. New characters didn't add as much, and at times only served to pull us away from Holden and the crew of the Rocinante. Me thinks that the authors listened, and thus gave us, Nemesis Games. I'm always a big fan of rotating perspectives (as long as the characters can carry the weight), and this format, and this story, it works perfectly. I loved each individual subplot, and found that I was growing more invested in the story each time it shifted from Amos, to Naomi, to Alex, and finally back to Holden again. This installment doesn't necessarily build the universe, but it digs deeper into these character's pasts, complicates them, and as a result, allows us to invest that much more into them emotionally. I didn't cringe when the perspective shifted, as I sometimes did with characters like Anna, or the Ganymede outcasts turned colonists, turned relatable terrorists. I just didn't connect with those characters to the same degree. That doesn't make them bad characters, but I also don't believe that they should have necessarily carried so much of the story. Off track. Nemesis Games corrects much of those problems, by bringing the compelling characters that we've grown to love back to the forefront. I'm also okay that this book is slightly shorter, although I did groan when the pages flipped and I realized that I had run out of story. This is a book I was not ready to be done with. Needless to say, the story ended, but I was not ready for it to be over. Achievement unlocked: reinvestment in the series.
It is obvious that these authors have a grand story planned out for us (more than they have already provided I should say), with what feels like dozens of volumes yet to come. If they continue like Leviathan Wakes, Caliban's War, and now Nemesis Games, I will be one of the first in line to gobble them up as they come out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nemesis Games.

June 30, 2016 – Shelved