Aaron Bunce's Reviews > Cibola Burn

Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey

Better than Abaddon's Gate, but still a shadow of Leviathan and Caliban. On a bright note, it does add "Death Slug" to the universe that brought us "vomit zombies".
The gang of the Rocinante get to stretch their legs a bit when they are roped into playing mediator, between a group of interloper colonists (Ganymede refugees that decide to settle on one of the new gate worlds), and the big bad energy company and the crew of scientists that are dispatched to explore and or investigate this new world. I get it, big corporations bad, little guy good. Preaching.
There is a lot of political tension in this book, with some subtle, and some not so subtle allusions to current and past political and religious issues. Hence: A group of outcasts settling in a land that another group feels is their's because they have the more valid claim. Yes, Royal Charter Energy has been granted rights to the planet by the U.N. The RCE ship is also called the Edward Israel - after the crusading prince/made king Edward I who charged himself with the task of cleansing the Holy land of the "infidels", and Israel, the post WWII Jewish state set upon that very same contested ground. I get it, and this story definitely establishes who the bad guys are. I'm sure most readers will pick up on the lessons included. The gun toting RCE security lead is just a tad too cliche for my taste. He's rigid and inflexible to a fault, no doubt a jab at a certain political ideology.
There is plenty of conflict here, but I found that by the end of the book I was exhausted by it. Man versus man, man versus ancient aliens, man versus environment, and so on. It all kind of feels jumbled together. The conflict I was truly interested in, that of this alien scourge that somehow wiped out the now long-dead race of universe expanding gate builders, gets relatively little attention for most of the book. Ideally, I would have liked to see this story line get the lion share of attention. Not a horrible book, but not the best in the series so far.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cibola Burn.

June 30, 2016 – Shelved
June 30, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 25, 2016 – Started Reading
August 4, 2016 –
20.0% "A change of narrator in the midst of a series is never a good thing. I am sure Erik Davies is a very nice person, but his narration of Cibola Burn is pretty bad. Lifeless, monotone, and a rather severe deviation from the series up to this point. I almost returned the audio book two chapters in, but have resolved myself to finish it. Deep breath..."
August 7, 2016 –