Aaron Bunce's Reviews > Caliban's War

Caliban's War by James S.A. Corey

I loved Leviathan Wakes. Holden and his crew is a lovable collection of misfits. Amos and Alex regularly make me laugh out loud, which doesn't often happen when I'm reading. I like that the story picks up where the first installment ended. Plus, we are introduced to bad ass Bobby Draper. Oftentimes new characters introduced into a running series won't always live up to the standards created by the mainstays. Not here. Prax can be frustrating at times, but Bobby more than makes up for it. Big bad Bobby in her power armor kicks all the right kind of ass. she's a keeper.

The writing in this volume is just as good in the predecessor, although I do think that some of the conflict, especially the space battles, suffers from what I like to call pull back. The writers pull back, and instead of using their character's voices and eyes to show the action scenes, turn to excessive amounts of exposition. Just another form of show versus tell, but in this case I think the tense moments could have been so much more. This is just a writer's nit pick.

The ending is a gut checker, and forced me to grab Abaddon's Gate to find out exactly what the proto molecule has in store for Holden and the rest of mankind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caliban's War.

June 30, 2016 – Shelved