Thom Dunn's Reviews > Handbook to Life in Prehistoric Europe

Handbook to Life in Prehistoric Europe by Jane McIntosh

M 50x66
May 15, 2011

bookshelves: a-own-hardcover, archaeology, europe

Simply magnificent. Be fun to collate this with Stuart Piggott's classic, Ancient Europe and others. Excellent GR description. Concentration 7000 BCE to encroachment of Roman Empire.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Handbook to Life in Prehistoric Europe.

02/24 marked as: read

message 1: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Presumably, this refers to human life almost exclusively. I think of an essay by Stephen Jay Gould that points out that if it weren't for cave paintings, we might have known that Irish Elk had a hump over its shoulders (how else would it have had the muscles to raise those enormous antlers?), but wouldn't have known that they were striped, or how.

I've encountered a contention that Eurasia was not capable of supporting agriculture until about 10,000 years ago. I wasn't able to find out the basis for this contention, which seems to be based on the assumption that if it was possible to practice agriculture, people would have done so--despite considerable evidence in the Americas of strong groundswell resistance to agriculture, even (or perhaps especially) in the more fertile grasslands.

One wonders, for example, how many peoples were like the Lapps, pursuing a semi-pastoral nomadic existence, before agricultural fields drove that sort of thing into the backlands and steppes.