Debbie I Heart YA Books's Reviews > Defending Hayden

Defending Hayden by L.P. Dover

There's no doubt Derek McLaughlin was a cocky, smartass jerk in the previous book (book six). But, we only got to see the background of his story. In this, book seven Defending Hayden, it's Derek's story. Now we get see the brokenness of this man up close and personal, and feel his pain. This strong, carefree Carolina Cougars linebacker was brought to his knees with the death of his girlfriend and his unborn child in a car accident that almost took Derek's life also. Since the accident, Derek has been carrying a heavy load of grief and guilt, which lead to him living a destructive lifestyle of alcohol, drugs, and one-night-stands. So Derek takes off and leaves Stonebrooke, North Carolina, his football career, and his teammates, to head toward the other side of the country. It's the only way he feels he can get his life together and get back into the game. Derek left for two months and now that he's back, he’s been able to put the drinking, drugs, and women behind him and is ready to try and save the only thing he has left: his professional football career. Only his head is still a mess.

Hayden Hunter moved to Stonebrooke to work at an animal hospital. She’s a veterinarian and she just got out of a bad relationship where she caught her boyfriend cheating with her best friend. Hayden is no way looking to get in involve with a man, especially not a pro football player (emphasis on the word player). But fate has another plan for these two broken hearts. Hayden keeps running into Derek Hottie McLaughlin, and he’s making her crazy with the way he looks at her, making her heart pound hard for this sexy man. And Derek’s also starting to have feelings for the beautiful veterinarian—feelings that he hasn’t felt for a long time. Romance between Hayden and Derek starts to heat up only to fizzle out because of Derek's messed-up head, and his second chance is looking more like a long shot.

I have to tell you, Derek is my favorite so far in the Second Chance series. This sexy footballer totally stole my heart, even if he did mess things up royally between him and Hayden, but the man has style and some smooth moves when it comes to winning Hayden's heart. I recommend Defending Hayden, Derek and Hayden’s second chance love story, as a must read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Defending Hayden.

June 29, 2016 – Started Reading