Grace's Reviews > Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

liked it
Recommended for: nonsensitive readers who like wrestling with complex issues

Overall Rating: Three and a Half Stars
Content Rating: PG-13
Would I Recommend It? Probably/Maybe

I Liked...
-The idea of people blaming genetic damage for humanity's problems is a super cool premise! Fascinating ideas explored in this book.

-None of the villains are fully evil or good; they are operating under the delusion that what they are doing is right or best for people.

-This incredible quote:
"I fell in love with him. But I don't just stay with him by default as if there's no one else available to me. I stay with him because I choose to, every day that I wake up, every day that we fight or lie to each other or disappoint each other. I choose him over and over again, and he chooses me."
FINALLY. An accurate representation of love and relationships in a YA novel!!! *bounces happily*

I Didn't Like...
-Speaking of Tris and Tobias, I really didn't like that perspective shift. I didn't feel like Tobias had been developed enough in the previous books to have a different enough perspective.

-Basic plot of all the Divergent books: bad government + rebels who don't agree = war. Just with a different bad government in every book. The whole "Oh, no, this government is actually bad, let's kill them all" thing got a little repetitive.

-I may have loved Veronica Roth's representation of love in some ways, but there was also a bordering-on-inappropriate love scene where Tris said what they were doing was right. Excuse me...emotions or something feeling right does not mean it is right. And as a Christian, premarital sex = never right.

-Also, the one character who was just casually portrayed as homosexual without really focusing on it in any definite way. Like it was just normal. Again, as a Christian, that bothered me.

-The ending...*sob* I won't say anything else, but I didn't think it was the right way to end the series.

Overall, I enjoyed this book once I got into it. It was an intense, emotional ride and it wasn't without its problems; definitely don't read it if you are particularly sensitive or don't like wrestling with worldviews or moral beliefs different from your own. But if you don't mind a bit more challenging (in terms of content, not reading level) or depressing book once in a while, read it and form your own opinions. I get the feeling that this is the kind of book where opinions and ratings can vary widely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiant.

June 29, 2016 – Shelved
June 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 8, 2016 – Started Reading
July 8, 2016 –
page 45
8.56% "Well. That perspective shift from Tris to Tobias left me a bit jolted."
July 17, 2016 –
page 119
22.62% "So are these people good or bad or...what?"
July 20, 2016 –
page 275
52.28% "Allll the science...kinda confused.\n My main thought is wondering why this book is kinda boring even though the plot is super intense. Plus it seems like there are too many new problems being introduced to be resolved before the end."
July 23, 2016 –
page 526
100.0% "NOOOOO WHAT EVEN IS THIS ENDING I HATE YOU VERONICA ROTH I'M GOING TO DIE FROM SHOCK AND PAIN AND TRAGEDY THIS IS NOT OKAY\n *did I say this book was boring? haha. hahahahahahahahahaha....*"
July 23, 2016 – Finished Reading