Lyn's Reviews > Fool Moon

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher

liked it

Fool Moon is Jim Butcher’s second Harry Dresden novel, first published in 2001 to wild acclaim and popularity.

And why not? Butcher knew back then that he had a winning formula and he does. Cool and charismatic protagonist, excellent world building, and a fun set of magic rules to make even the most cynical of urban fantasy readers to tune in like a Cubs-Sox game on WGN. Even Coach Ditka would no doubt no reveal a hint of a smile behind the sunglasses and mustache and say in a mid-western twang, “I like that guy Dresden.”

I like a good werewolf story as much as the next guy, and this is a good one. Butcher throws in some ins, some outs, some what haves you. Most interesting was the laundry list of different kinds of lycanthropes. I had to break out my second edition Dungeons & Dragons: Monster Manual and see what kind of rules Gary Gygax laid down. And even then Butcher threw in a very subtle variation that made me say “Ahhh.”

So a few months after the dust has settled from Harry’s last adventure from the events in Storm Front, the Wizard Fun Train gears up again for a howling good time.

Also fun is Butcher’s cast of characters, most notably Harry’s friend Bob, a talking skull. I imagine Dresden’s magical sidekick "spirit of intellect" to have the voice of Tim “The Tool man” Taylor’s neighbor Wilson.

Good times! Next up is 2001’s Grave Peril.

description

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool Moon.

June 29, 2016 – Started Reading
June 29, 2016 – Shelved
July 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Shervin Jamali I liked it too, having read the first two installments; it's fun reading, but won't change your life in any substantial way. I gave it 3 stars also and I'm sure I'll get around to some more Dresden reading at some point, but I have a large stack of TBRs that take precedence.

message 2: by Lyn (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyn I've been reading them and will likely read them all.