J. W. Garrett's Reviews > On Oakham Mount: A Pride & Prejudice Variation

On Oakham Mount by Sophia Meredith

bookshelves: 2017, jaff-pride-and-prejudice, era-regency-1811-1820

"Chasing angels or fleeing demons, go to the mountains.” Jeffrey Rasley, Bringing Progress to Paradise

Our story is post Netherfield Ball, post Collins’ proposal, only this time, M/M Bennet are in agreement that Lizzy should accept Mr. Collins in order to save the family. Having her father tell her she can’t refuse… just about broke her heart. She said some things to her father she’s never said before. Now both are hurt and ashamed.

“Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime.” Mineko Iwasaki

Oh, the pain of her father’s betrayal sends Lizzy from the house. She escapes to the Mount to bewail her virginity… wait… that was Jephthah’s daughter. Oops, wrong father, wrong daughter and wrong Mount. Lizzy escapes to Oakham Mount, to her favorite tree and weeps for her loss.

Mr. Darcy, trying to escape his own troubles, takes a morning ride and finds himself on Oakham Mount and encounters Miss Elizabeth Bennet crying her eyes out. After talking for some time, they devise a solution that should help both situations. Less than twenty-four hours later, all their best laid plans are in the dirt. The misunderstanding is massive and life changing for ODC [our dear couple].

While Darcy and Lizzy talk, Mrs. Bennet is frantic when she can’t find her least favorite daughter. In order to keep Mr. Collins from leaving or changing his mind, she applies to Mary to entertain him until Lizzy can be found. Soon Mr. Collins is praying for a miracle to save him.

The story gets a little crazy after this as our characters are divided into sets of two. After the misunderstanding, 2 are set to separate, 2 moved into mourning, 2 walked into wedded bliss, and 2 we highly suspect are in shame. Then comes Easter, where 2 hurried off to Hunsford, 2 rode to Rosings, where the 2 separated are shoved together. So now what happens? Trouble can and does brew up a storm at a moment’s notice.

Rough waters indeed hit with waves that throw ODC up, then down, up then down. I am afraid I was a bit sea sick in route to the HEA. It ended at 83%. There was a delightful and unusually prolific epilogue at 84%. Then we have sample chapters at 86% from book 2 ‘Miss Darcy’s Companion.”

Errors we have a few with Anne’s companion especially. Was it Mrs. Jenkins or Jenkinson… that flipped about quite a bit. Plus, we have Anne de Bourgh referred to as Lady Anne… yeah, that doesn’t work. Lady Anne always refers to Darcy’s mother. Unless this author decided to give Sir Louis de Bourgh a different title, his daughter would not be Lady Anne.

This was clean and cute when you got past their misunderstanding[s]. There was some very pretty love language as each dealt with their emotions and feelings. It was hard won, but swoon worth at times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On Oakham Mount.

June 29, 2016 – Shelved
June 29, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 30, 2017 – Started Reading
May 30, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "Victoria, thank you for the 'someone else pick it for me" for the month of June choice. I look forward to reading this."
May 31, 2017 –
25.0% "This is adorable. Post Netherfield Ball, post Collins' proposal, only this time, M/M Bennet are in agreement that Lizzy accept. Oh the pain of her father's betrayal. Lizzy escapes to the Mount to bewail her virginity... wait... that was Jephthah's daughter. Oops, wrong father, wrong girl, and wrong Mount. There she finds Mr. Darcy with a solution. Back at Longbourn Collins is praying for a miracle. What fun!!!"
47.0% "Here we go 2 by 2:
A misunderstanding sets 2 to separate, moves 2 to mourning, wings 2 off in wedded bliss, and we suspect 2 in shame.
Then comes Easter, where 2 hurry to Hunsford as 2 ride to Rosings. The separated are shoved together so now what is to happen? It's early still and trouble can brew up a storm at any moment."
May 31, 2017 –
83.0% "Rough waters indeed with waves that threw our couple up, then down, up then down. I am afraid I was a bit sea sick in route to the HEA. It ended at 83%. There was a delightful and unusually prolific epilogue at 84%. Then we have sample chapters at 86% from book 2 'Miss Darcy's Companion.'"
May 31, 2017 – Finished Reading