Becky's Reviews > Hereafter

Hereafter by Tara Hudson

May 14, 2011

I received an advanced copy of this book from 'NetGalley' in exchange for an honest review. It was an 'uncorrected e-proof'. As i don't have an e-reader it came with a free download of 'Adobe Digital Editions' so I could read it on my computer.
Amelia knows she is dead and that she drowned and she knows her first name but that is all she knows, she can't remember what lead to her death or what she was like in life. Left alone in despair and replaying the moments of her death in horrible nightmares, Amelia wonders if this is all death is. Until one day a car accident lands Joshua in the River with her, his heartbeat is stopping and Amelia desperately wants to save him, but can't. By some miracle, he survives and can now see her, the pair become close, but dark powers are after Amelia stopping her from having her happily ever after.
I was fascinated by the blurb of this book and the cover was very striking, I love how she's see through but still there. When I received the message saying I had been given a copy to read and review I was so pleased and couldn't wait to get stuck in. I had to do it in two goes as my eyes don't read off a screen very well, it gives me headache after a while, but saying that I would sit there with it open in front of me and say to myself I'll just read one more chapter, or I'll just read until I get to page..., then would not be able to pull myself away, I was so drawn into the story I had to know what would happen next, I was totally hooked.
Amelia is a very likeable character although you don't know much about her, the story is written so that she finds out about herself the same time we as a reader does, it's a very different way of doing things and I really liked it, it was like I was there by her side as she discovered everything, made me feel a part of her life (well, death!)
Joshua is a sweetheart and the sort of boy all us girls wish we could find, loyal and caring with a great sense of humour and a strong desire to do the right thing.
I really felt like I knew the characters and was eager throughout to know more about them.
Eli is another ghost and was written very well, he is like the perfect villain - dark, creepy and quite terrifying but with redeeming moments that draw you in and make you feel safe before BAM he turns on you again. He was written so well I could almost see him staring at me through the screen.
This is Tara Hudson's first novel and she has done spectacularly well with it. Some first time novels can feel clumsy and uncertain, but this one has great rhythm and pace and the writing flows off the pages.
I am hoping there will be more from Hudson, either completely different or a follow on from 'Hereafter' - would like more as there are some questions left unanswered in this book, things I would like to see tied up.
I will definitely be buying a copy of this book when it is officially released, I want to see it on my bookshelves all pretty and nice.

I would give this book 9.5/10. A captivating read that takes you on a journey of self-discovery, life, death and love. Some things are made to last and this book will be one of them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hereafter.