Fred's Reviews > Forget You

Forget You by Jennifer Echols

May 14, 2011

liked it

After "Going too Far," I had high hopes for this book, but I was mildly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good story with interesting characters, but I could never really find myself immersed in it. For one thing, the main character, Zooey, is difficult to like. Sometimes that's not a problem as characters grow and change over the course of the story (that's usually the point, right?). But in this case, Zooey's resistance to acknowledging reality, and her kind of self destructive ways of dealing with things just got irritating, particularly her professed loyalty to a known player after a one-night hookup. The story does contain a major contender for worst dad ever, which takes some doing in a YA book. In fact there's really two crappy dads to contend with here. Again, not an issue per se, but they seemed cartoonishly bad, not really emotionally impactful. (Mild spoiler alert here) The scene where Zooey's Mom escapes and rescues her is weird - I really thought this was a dream sequence for quite a while, and that Zooey would regain consciousness and wise up, but no, it's really happening, however implausibly. So, definitely will stick with Jennifer Echols, but unable to give this the enthusiasm I felt for "Going too Far."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forget You.

May 14, 2011 – Started Reading
May 14, 2011 – Shelved
May 14, 2011 –
page 45
15.41% "Off to kind of a weird start, this is more angsty and intense than Going Too Far, waiting to hit bottom, start transitioning up!"
May 15, 2011 – Finished Reading