Phillip's Reviews > What Are Spiritual Gifts?: Rethinking the Conventional View

What Are Spiritual Gifts? by Kenneth Berding

M 50x66

bookshelves: pauline-studies, church-ministry, ecclesiology

In this book, Ken Berding tries to put Paul's teaching on "spiritual gifts" within the larger context of his teaching on the Spirit and ministry. His thesis is compelling. Spiritual ministry callings, i.e. "gifts", are first and foremost meant to serve the Christian community. The clear emphasis for Paul is on service and ministry, not on any kind of special abilities, i.e. "the conventional view."

Thus, the question is not, "what is my spiritual gifting?", but "what is the ministry the Spirit is leading me to invest in?" This effectively eliminates the need for spiritual gift inventory tests and the like. Berding's "spiritual ministries" view focuses the church on its primary mission to serve each other and build each other up as we all grow into maturity, thus evidencing the power of the gospel to change lives.

The book is a little repetitive, but for the most part well written. The research is solid and convincing. Overall, I enjoyed the book, and would recommend it to anyone considering Paul's teaching on this topic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Are Spiritual Gifts?.

Finished Reading