Carrie's Reviews > Cheri on Top

Cheri on Top by Susan Donovan

May 14, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, mystery, read-2011, small-town, manipulative-friends-family
Read on September 21, 2011

Susan Donovan,who was once my favorite contemporary romance author, has gotten into a rut and can't seem to get out. She now writes books with such unlikeable characters that I never care any more what happens to them. Cheri on Top was part humorous contemporary, part depressing murder mystery, and part ugly family drama. The mix didn't work for me, and Cheri came off as selfish, shallow, and childish.

If Ms Donovan is planning to write a book with Tanyalee (Taffy) as the heroine, she's sunk. Donovan made Tanyalee so incredibly mean, manipulative, and broken that no amount of rehabs or personal epiphanies will convince me she's changed. You can't make a person that vindictive and then expect to pull off having her as a sympathetic heroine in another book.

I gave up on the "Dog Walker" trilogy after the first book, but had high hopes for this new series. I might try Candy's story (from the library) but have no interest in the third book if "Taffy" is the lead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cheri on Top.

09/01/2016 marked as: read

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Moran I did see a book called Unwrapping Taffy by Susan Donovan (http://www.bookdepository.com/Unwrapp...)
but I'm not sure it will be out this year since I read that SD was very sick for a few months and it's no longer availed for pre order.
I really don't know way she wants to write a book about Tanyalee - she was so mean and I agree with you that a rehab won't help to change her and make her a good heroine.

message 1: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Does it have cheating?