Linda Strong's Reviews > The Pits

The Pits by Greg    Smith

Jun 28, 2016

bookshelves: read-in-2016

This is a bit of departure from my preferred reading genre. This was also a new author to me. When I read the first few pages, I thought to myself, this is a ‘guy’ book. WRONG! What I got was a marvelous story that at times brought me to tears.

Captain Kramer is a career lifer Marine. OORAH! Corporal Shadow is his Anatolian Shepherd dog … just a puppy when he found him during a tour in Afghanistan. Because dog-fighting was so prevalent in that country Kramer takes the pup with him. Kramer and Shadow develop a bond that will never be easily broken.

While home on extended leave, Kramer runs into a small group of college students who have invested their time and energy into stopping the atrocities of dog-fighting. Little do they know that these ‘events’ are being staged by a nationally known crime drug lord.

When they get the FBI involved, Kramer finds himself going undercover.

This is an extremely well written book. While I was rooting for Kramer at every step, it was Shadow who stole the show. Kramer was developed slowly, giving the reader a glimpse of him as a youngster and his best friend, Rusty. Unfortunately, Rusty died and it took Kramer many years to accept that death until he found Shadow. He still feels a little guilt replacing Rusty.

Warning: The dog-fighting scenes are so realistic … my emotions were all over the place. The author does a great job in creating a balance of a most barbaric practice.

I absolutely could not put this one down. I eagerly look forward to reading the sequel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pits.

Started Reading
June 27, 2016 – Finished Reading
June 28, 2016 – Shelved
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016

message 1: by Luffy (last edited Jun 28, 2016 07:29AM) (new)

Luffy Personally, not a dog person, but the review is wonderful!

Linda Strong Luffy wrote: "Personally, not a dog person, but the review is wonderful!"

Thank you! I am more a cat person myself, but I have had dogs. No animals should ever be brutalized!

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat I love my dogs and in a lot of cases prefer their company to most people. This sounds good but the dog fighting would be difficult for me to read. Great review.

Linda Strong Pat wrote: "I love my dogs and in a lot of cases prefer their company to most people. This sounds good but the dog fighting would be difficult for me to read. Great review."

Thanks! The author did a good job keeping it as far away from gruesome as he could and still maintain some realism. There were a couple scenes that made my heart hurt.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great 5 star review Linda! It looks good!

Linda Strong Mary wrote: "Great 5 star review Linda! It looks good!"

Thank you!