Katie's Reviews > Lies We Tell Ourselves

Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley

did not like it
bookshelves: lgbtqa-characters, girls-like-girls, 2016, ya-fiction, fiction

I really wanted to like this book. Probs bc it was gay and I've been so starved for something where the gay girls don't die for once but.

I really liked Sarah, but Linda was a racist and there's no beating around that. Which is probably why this made me uncomfortable the entire time. She was responsible for the entire situation with Chuck and there's no?? Getting away from that??? She nearly killed a boy just from a few words???? I would have liked it more if it hadn't been Racist Girl Falls For Black Girl And Learns The Error Of Her Ways but it was just that and it was just really, really uncomfortable, esp since the author is white.

The fact that the author clearly did a lot of research and put a lot of thought into it makes it a little bit better, but it doesn't change the fact that she still went the oppressed falling for her oppressor trope and it was just sooo uncomfy I spent most of the book squirming. It was a hard book to read cause of the subject matter, but that part made me the most uncomfortable tbh.

At least Sarah and Linda didn't die. Still doing better than most mainstream media atm.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies We Tell Ourselves.

June 27, 2016 – Started Reading
June 27, 2016 – Shelved
June 28, 2016 –
page 133
31.97% "hella uncomfy bc of the whole oppressor falling for the oppressed trope but i'm gonna finish it"
June 29, 2016 – Finished Reading