Kai's Reviews > The Girl With All the Gifts

The Girl With All the Gifts by M.R. Carey

bookshelves: owned, 2016

“You can’t save people from the world. There’s nowhere else to take them.”

4.5 out of 5 stars

This book. I might change my mind and give it 5 stars. I'm not sure. It's not an immediate favourite, but I loved it to pieces.

I don't like zombies. I don't like horror. But I do like my fair share of thrill, mystery and intrigue. And this was intriguing as hell.
Originally the plot threw me off. Until I saw the trailer. I just had to get hold of this book.

It's a very character driven novel, exploring feelings and testing relationships. Many criticize a weak or boring plot, but I didn't think so. I felt it was just right.
As I already said, the characters really made this book. Melanie is a hero, super smart and far from human. You can't not root for her.
Mrs. Justineau is her badass and loving teacher, her idol, and the two would do anything to protect each other. And they do.
Sergeant Parks is a dick. A dick with surprising character developemt.
Doctor Caldwell wants to find a cure, against all odds. This is what makes her dangerous, since you never know what to expect of her.
Private Gallagher is who I would be in a situation like this. He tries to keep his wits together, but in reality he's as scared as one can be when faced with mindless, half-rotten bodies who want to bite a big chunk out of your throat.
It's those 5 characters and how they grow on each other (or don't) that fascinated me. Especially how they treated Melanie, and the fact that she was a threat, but simultaneously a chance for their survival.

The ending (view spoiler)

In a nutshell: One of my favourite reads this year. Disgusting and fascinating at the same time. But the fascination won in the end.

Find more of my books on Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl With All the Gifts.

June 27, 2016 – Shelved
June 27, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 3, 2016 – Started Reading
July 5, 2016 –
page 109
23.7% "This is highly disturbing"
July 13, 2016 – Shelved as: on-hold
September 3, 2016 – Shelved as: owned
September 17, 2016 –
page 277
60.22% "Am I disgusted or fascinated?"
September 17, 2016 –
page 378
82.17% "Noooooooooooooooooo"
September 17, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
September 17, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Book Haunt Wow, hadn't seen the trailer, the movie looks great! Very nice review! I didn't like the book as much as others but I'm not sure how I would have felt about it had I seen the movie trailer first.

message 2: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Mildew Fairy Reads wrote: "Wow, hadn't seen the trailer, the movie looks great! Very nice review! I didn't like the book as much as others but I'm not sure how I would have felt about it had I seen the movie trailer first."

Thanks :) I don't think it would have changed much if you had seen the trailer first. A book is a book. But maybe you'll like the movie more!

message 3: by imts (new) - added it

imts i have this in my tbr but your review convinced me to stop putting off reading it :D

message 4: by Robert (new) - added it

Robert The trailer got my attention. I'm a huge The Walking Dead fan, so this book seemed interesting because zombies are quite different here and also it's from the pov of a zombie. It's been on my shelf for a week now. Need to read it asap.

message 5: by Hafsa (new)

Hafsa Already watched the movie, definitely going to pick the book after reading this!

message 6: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Robert wrote: "The trailer got my attention. I'm a huge The Walking Dead fan, so this book seemed interesting because zombies are quite different here and also it's from the pov of a zombie. It's been on my shelf..."

You should! I only watched the first TWD season but I'm sure you'll enjoy this if you love the show.

message 7: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Hafsa Z.U wrote: "Already watched the movie, definitely going to pick the book after reading this!"

I haven't seen it! For some reason it wasn't even in German cinemas :(

message 8: by Hafsa (new)

Hafsa Kai wrote: "Hafsa Z.U wrote: "Already watched the movie, definitely going to pick the book after reading this!"

I haven't seen it! For some reason it wasn't even in German cinemas :("

Oh that's bad! You could always download it though - the lead playing Melanie didn't disappoint!

message 9: by Kai (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kai Yeah I'll find a way to see it. Will probably just get the DVD, it's not long till release.