Kristen Burns's Reviews > Teeth: The First Bite

Teeth by Chele Cooke

3.5 Stars

Review:
*I received a free ecopy of this book via Story Cartel. This has not influenced my review.*

First of all, the blurb as of the date I’m writing this really doesn’t do a good job of describing this book. There was like one sentence about Thomas being in med school, and there was nothing about him becoming prey. Actually, this book wasn’t even really about Thomas period. It was about the inner struggles of three vampires with the most focus on Spencer and his feelings for August and a side focus on Thomas coming to terms with turning and August grieving the loss of someone he cared about.

Second, I’m a sucker for vampire books (I swear I didn’t mean to make that pun, but it’s so perfect that I’m sticking with it), and this one had me hooked from page one.

Thomas opened his eyes.

Then he began screaming.

From there the book continued to draw me in because these vampires were the perfect blend of predatory and sexy, and they also broke a lot of the more frustrating cliches.

For one thing, I love reading books about newborn and baby vamps, which Thomas was, but never before had I read about a vampire actually learning how to feed. It's probably twisted to laugh at a scene in which an innocent person dies, but it was just way too funny seeing Thomas miss the artery a bunch of times and then maul the guy's neck. I loved it.

I also loved the way the vampires took Thomas in and taught him. It seems like in so many books, the vampires have tragic backstories about their makers, or they were left alone and confused, or the vampire who takes them in is just a jerk.

Another great thing was that the vampires actually had jobs working from home, designing websites, running tech support, etc. rather than being inexplicably loaded.

One of the best things about the book though was the potential depth and emotion. It seemed like we really only scratched the surface, but the depth and emotion was definitely there underneath which makes me think that even though this book didn't make me too emotional, future books might.

The other best thing was the complexity of the relationships, both romantic and familial-esque. The characters also seemed to all be complex, and I'm interested to see how these relationships will continue to grow or change.

My only real issues were the "love" between Thomas and Paige, since it seemed like they hardly knew each other, and the lack of goal in the plot. But honestly I was more invested in August and Spencer than Thomas anyway, and the lack of goal didn't make the book any less gripping for me.

But here's the thing. I was originally all set to give this book a solid 4 stars for all of the above reasons and was so excited to have found a new series that seemed like one I could really get into. Then I got to the end and found out the next book is going to be about different characters. That would be ok if I had gotten a full, satisfying story, but it ended in the middle of relationship struggles and other interesting unexplored things and therefore seemed incomplete. I felt like I was just starting to get to know Thomas's, August's, and Spencer's stories only to suddenly be told no, I can't have anymore.

I contacted the author and found out they will be secondary characters in Book 2 and August and Spencer will be back as POV characters in Book 3, so there's hope for the series at least, but I'm still disappointed I might miss all the emotions and relationship stuff that will take place between them in Book 2.

Overall, this book was a lovely mix of emotion, humor, and vampires, but until I see how the rest of the series goes, I'm not sure how I feel and might have to adjust my rating and review accordingly once the series is complete.

Recommended For:
Anyone who likes vampires who break tropes, werewolves with a very predatory side, complex characters and relationships, and many POV characters.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Teeth.

June 27, 2016 – Shelved
July 20, 2016 – Shelved as: reviewed
August 24, 2016 – Shelved as: gay-main-character
August 24, 2016 – Shelved as: bisexual-love-interest
November 24, 2016 – Shelved as: funny

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul E. Morph Nice review, Kristen!

Kristen Burns Thanks, Paul!