Linda's Reviews > The House at the Edge of Night

The House at the Edge of Night by Catherine Banner

bookshelves: fiction, net-galley

I received a copy of The House at the Edge of Night through NetGalley for an honest review. My thanks to Random House Publishing and to Catherine Banner for the opportunity.

Sometimes, just sometimes, we wish to lay with elbows bent in front of a fire encased in the warmth of a sage storyteller who leans mind-to-mind into our cozy space. Because, dear reader, it is all in those simple words.

Catherine Banner presents a story set in the Mediterranean island of Castellamare. The ancient isle is surrounded in rugged volcanic rock, the ruins of earthquakes of long ago, tiny fisherman boats bobbing in the waves of the bay, and landscaped with people who bear the fine honing of those who came before them.

One of those well-sculpted people is Amedeo Esposito. Amedeo knows abandonment first hand as a foundling. He is taken under the wing of the town's doctor and whittled into a medico through deep trial and error. Amedeo surrounds himself with his collection of artifacts and his ability to touch deeply into the heart. He meets the stoic Pina and they soon marry. And slowly the stories pour out upon the page as Castellamare is affected by world wars, disease, birth, and death. "For his own spirit these days could be precisely divided - half of it light and fathomable, half as dark and deep as the ocean."

The House at the Edge of Night is just that......the rising of the sun in one's life and the eventual darkness at the end of life's day. Banner writes beautifully and describes so well the inner workings of a simple life complicated by the intrusions of the world. The characters will stay with you long after the last page. Involved and yet uninvolved. Simple and yet complicated. Banner leans into the story and you will as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House at the Edge of Night.

June 26, 2016 – Shelved
June 26, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 18, 2016 – Started Reading
August 21, 2016 – Shelved as: fiction
August 21, 2016 – Shelved as: net-galley
August 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Frances (new) - added it

Frances A lovely review Linda!!

Linda Frances wrote: "A lovely review Linda!!"

Thanks, Frances. Had to take a break from all those mystery/thrillers that just keep pulling me back in. (Like potato chips!) This was so well written with "story" at the very heart.

Linda Thanks, Dana, Meredith, Jessica, Cheri, Karen, Leslie, Maureen, and Benjamin. If you are looking for a book that is so well written and focuses brilliantly on excellent story telling, then this is the one.

Esil Lovely review Linda. Perfect description of reading this book.

Diane S ☔ Wonderful review for a wonderful book.

Karen Great review and great book!

message 7: by Dem (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dem Enjoyed your review Angela. I really liked this book.

message 8: by Cheri (new) - added it

Cheri Wonderful review, Linda, really lovely!

Linda Esil wrote: "Lovely review Linda. Perfect description of reading this book."

Thanks, Esil. This was such a special book by a very talented author.

Linda Diane S ☔ wrote: "Wonderful review for a wonderful book."

Thanks, Diane. This was a beautiful break in the direction of a fine storyteller. So enjoyable!

Linda Karen wrote: "Great review and great book!"

Thanks, Karen. So glad that I was able to read this little treasure. Hope everyone gets a chance to read it, too.

Linda Cheri wrote: "Wonderful review, Linda, really lovely!"

Thanks, Cheri. To think such a small island could be a bountiful find for stories that speak to the heart.

Linda Nicole wrote: "I've been struggling with finishing this lately (not sure why). Its a good book, don't get me wrong, maybe I 'm finding it a little drawn out?.....Anyway your review just renewed my interest. Thanks!"

I think I know what you are saying, Nicole. Although the stories do travel in a whole gamut of heart-rendering circumstances, there is much detail to them. Very detailed at times. Perhaps that's what brings a lull in the reading occasionally here. Tender with daily routine.

Angela M Terrific review ! I just loved this story .

Linda Thanks, Angela. A very talented author who took the stories of this island and wrote them with humor, pathos, and heartfelt emotion.

message 16: by Candace (new)

Candace Terrific review, Linda! :)

Linda Candace wrote: "Terrific review, Linda! :)"

Thanks, Candace. A good one filled with humor, sadness, and a bit of romance. Wonderful storytelling.

Linda Thanks, Amanda. Save this one for a time when you just want to savor really good storytelling that's such a lost art now.

Linda Thanks, Mischenko and Porsha. If you get the chance, this was an enjoyable read and well written.

Debra Fantastic Review!

Linda Thanks, Debra. Loved this book!