Alyssa Udall's Reviews > Raw Blue

3251905
May 13, 2011

bookshelves: contemporary, teen-fiction
Read from August 26 to 28, 2011

Originally Posted at Redhead Heroines!

This book is terribly difficult to review.

While I was instantly drawn in to Carly's world as a part-time chef and surfing-addict, I wish that I would have been warned about how intense this book is. As you can probably infer from the summary, Carly was viciously and brutally raped two years before the events of this book take place.

This is learned pretty early on in the novel, as well as the fact that Carly has not told a single soul that this happened to her. The effect of her rape is obvious in her daily life, with her obsession with surfing, her aversion to men, and her shame of not only her own worth, but of her smoking habit.

This was an incredibly tough book to read. Throughout this experience, I kept wanting to shake Carly awake, tell her to get help, tell her that it wasn't her fault. It seems obvious from the outside looking in, which is why Carly notes early on that rape is the perfect crime. It makes the victims hate themselves and blame themselves, when these emotions should be reserved for the aggressor only.

Although much of this book was very tough to get through, I was still compelled to read on by Carly's silly Dutch roommate Hannah ("Go vaginas!"), love-interest Ryan, unexpected friend and synesthesia-ridden Danny, and of course, Carly herself. This book is a very well-written account of rape and it's aftermath, but is also a thoughtful contemporary novel about love and friendship.

This book begs to be read by all those who enjoy a non-formulaic YA novel now and then. However, I also wish to place a disclaimer for those like me that hate to be surprised by certain elements in YA lit. For instance, there are multiple sex scenes in Raw Blue that are pretty graphic for YA. There is also a detailed account of Carly's rape.

Disclaimers aside, please read Carly's story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raw Blue.

08/28/2011 page 150
55.0% "This is incredibly intense. I feel like there should be a disclaimer."