Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

May 13, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult, postcard-from-outer-space, sci-fi, totally-saw-that-coming, wake-me-up-next-year, reviewed-in-2011
Read from May 23 to 27, 2011

Mediocre is the first word that comes to mind when I think about Across the Universe. I din't really connect to any of the characters, and at about 70%, I found myself not caring at all what happens to them.

The mystery wasn't a mystery at all. I figured everything out almost at the beginning and then just waited for Amy and Elder to catch up. The science parts weren't convincing, and the social structure was pretty unbelievable.
When I comapare this book to Maria Snyder's Inside Out, I really have no choice but to give it two stars. Even though Inside Out was a three-star book for me, the almost perfect second book, Outside In, made me so happy I chose to read the series. I have no desire to read A Million Suns.

Lyndsey Why didn't I realize this was a series? Has it always been advertised as a series?! For some reason I assumed it was a standalone.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) It IS a series, unfortunately. I know many people loved it, but don't go into it expecting real sci-fi. I think you of all people will be really disappointed.

message 3: by Lyndsey (last edited May 27, 2011 02:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lyndsey Bummer. It is so hard to find decent sci-fi YA. This was one I was holding out hope for, too. *sighs*

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, just because I hated it, it doesn't mean that you will. :)

I really liked Outside In better. It even has aliens! I LOVE aliens, LOL.

Steph Sinclair I'm hoping things will improve in the next book. For me, I did enjoy it even though it was disappointing.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Most of my GR friends loved this. I guess it just wasn't for me. YA is never my first choice anyway.

Forsaken (The Demon Trapper's Daughter) is a YA novel that I DID like very much. The strange thing is, my friends didn't like that one. Did you by any chance read it, Stephanie?

Steph Sinclair No, I haven't heard of it. It sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. I see it's has mixed reviews from my goodreads friends. Seems like it's a hit or miss for people.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) That's probably because it's actually urban fantasy with a young protagonist. That's how I would describe it. Not YA exactly. It's also pretty dark.

Wendy Darling Tempering my expectations then...

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) The cover is a bit misleading. This is not primarily a love story, and I really thought it would be.

Nikki A lot of people who have read Inside Out didn't like Across the Universe. I must read it. Across the Universe was my first sci fi type read, which is why I think I loved it so much

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You should definitely try Inside Out. I thought it was very mature, especially the second book.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I still haven't read Inside Out...I've got to get caught up here!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Well, Maria Snyder is an experienced writer. Her world felt real to me. Even if I wasn't crazy about the first book, the second one blew me away.

Steph Sinclair Inside Out sounds really good! I'll be checking that one out.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I hope there'll be a third book, but I can't find any mention of it. The story was pretty much wrapped up in Outside In, but still... I would love to read about Trella and Riley again.

message 17: by Chichipio (new)

Chichipio I have Inside Out right here. So I'll probably try that one first, so I don't have to read this one.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You don't want to read this anyway. I'm not sure if you'll like Inside Out, you'll definitely like Outside In (cause, you know, aliens!), but do yourself a favor: if you see Across the Universe on a shelf somewhere - run for your life. Or sanity. Whatever.