V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards's Reviews > Lick

Lick by Kylie Scott

3rd update
Trigger warnings and spoilers
I found it! The review that made me mark this book as unsafe and disloyal heroe. Kiki asked me about it, but I haven't read this book and forgot to post the link to Alyssa's review. In the process of searching for the review I found more of this book and I'm glad I decided to pass, too much drama for me, but I'll read anything by this author that my safety gangs approves.

Read more on safety and spoiler on

Alyssa's review

Read my disclaimers in my second update. I call cheating things and attitudes that most romance readers don't consider cheating.

2nd update
Safety spoiler and a review link
(view spoiler)

1st Update: I forgot to post the original review where I learned about safety issues, but Kiki recently asked me so I'll say this:

DISCLAIMER: For the purpose of my reviews whatever activity with OW meaning kissing, trying to f@ck her, taking her to a hotel (even if later hero regrets it and "can't stop thinkinga bout the heroine", watching her naked counts as disloyalty and cheating IF( and only IF) THIS HAPPENS AFTER H and h get together,. I consider they're together once they have exchanged a kiss even if there's no promise of exclusivity. If it is before they kiss I have no problem, but if it's after they have kissed I hate it. It makes the Hero weak and childish.

I post a lot of non-reviews because TBR has become unmanagable so I write about books I haven't and won't read. I HAVEN'TREAD THIS BOOK. I'll post links to reviews later.

DON'T TAKE MY NON-REVIEWS SERIOUSLY. My hard limits aren't necessarly hard limits of other readers. I post them mostly for my group of friends who hate cheating more than I do and who hate any kind of OW after the couple meets.

Original non-review below

(view spoiler) careful my safety gang pals!

Specially when the "separation" happens for such stupid reasons. Grow up man! This guy isn't a man, he's a boy pretending to be a man.

Again, a lot of my friends like this bad-boy-type of heroes, so you might as well give this book a try. I'm searching for UNREALISTIC MEN that's why I'll pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lick.

June 25, 2016 – Shelved
April 3, 2017 – Shelved as: no-thank-you
April 3, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: checked-won-t-read
August 13, 2019 – Shelved as: cheating

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Kiki (new) - added it

Kiki I remember NOTHING about this book, do you remember anything more to elaborate? Should I even bother to reread? Because if there's actual cheating I'm out. When I first read this, it was a very low point of life, I read a lot of garbage, need to figure out if this is one of them or not

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards I didn't read it. I read a review but forget to post it. I'll research more into this, but remember that I call cheating when there's OW after the couple kisses for the first time even if they don't start dating until later or if they date and get separated later.

GimmeAllTheWerdssss It's been a while but I can think of two times you may have considered it cheating. Once at a party after they were married I remember the H going into a pool house or something like that with OW - I'm fairly certain nothing happened though. The second time was a set up by his ex - the sister of the drummer. She kissed him and made reference to them getting back together and being meant for each other and made sure the heroine saw it - her brother helped the set up. Other than that I don't remember any other scenes that could be "cheating"

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards ReadingisMyEscape wrote: "It's been a while but I can think of two times you may have considered it cheating. Once at a party after they were married I remember the H going into a pool house or something like that with OW -..."

They got married and he went to pool house with OW??? That sucks!! Like the intention was there to be with this OW?

Thanks for the info Readingismyescape. I hope you understand my hard limits. I'm in fact less sensitive about cheating than most of my safety gang friends, a lot of them don't like anything even after H and h meet. I don't mind as long as OW stops after the couple gets together.

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Shari Kay wrote: "he went with the intention to cheat or just because she asked to talk to him or something?"

That's what I'm trying to find out. My friend rachel tagged this as "cheaters" so I'm trying to get more info.

Lisa This is an excellent boik, it's one of my very favorite series and shes a very favorite author of mine, a matte

Lisa Oh damnit, I wasn't meaning to hit post, I wasn't finished, sorry about that. You have to read the story, there's no cheating and all 4 books go together, all the people are in the books throughout. I really really love this series.

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Lisa wrote: "This is an excellent boik, it's one of my very favorite series and shes a very favorite author of mine, a matte"

I heard great things about this author. I just won't read this one because slutshaming and OW are my hard limits.

GimmeAllTheWerdssss The h didn't remember them getting married and completely dismissed him. He was mad. I want to say he did it because he was pissed off. I remember being frustrated with him but the heroine didn't want anything to do with him so she frustrated me too.

He however, kept some very big secrets from her and the biggest was the fact that he was in a long term relationship with the drummers sister and held onto a lot of their "memories". The house he lived in and moved the heroine into was bought for the OW. The OW and him wore matching earrings.

Yes...he was done with the OW but she was still around and made life difficult for the heroine. He didn't step in and put the OW in her place till after the heroine ran

GimmeAllTheWerdssss Oh and he wrote an entire album for the OW...

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa But if you remember the ow and him were childhood loves, the first of everything and she screwed him over, he loved her for a long time or perhaps the idea of her after he got a bit older.

GimmeAllTheWerdssss Lisa wrote: "But if you remember the ow and him were childhood loves, the first of everything and she screwed him over, he loved her for a long time or perhaps the idea of her after he got a bit older."

I remember that now that you said it. However he should have been honest with the h and he should have put the OW in her place earlier than he did. She nearly cost him the heroine....

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards ReadingisMyEscape wrote: "Oh and he wrote an entire album for the OW..."

Thanks for taking the time to give this info! I appreciate it.

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Lisa wrote: "But if you remember the ow and him were childhood loves, the first of everything and she screwed him over, he loved her for a long time or perhaps the idea of her after he got a bit older."

Thanks for the info Lisa. The thing is that:

* I'm not a reader of contemporary series. I prefer stand alones when it comes to contemporary romance.
* Twilight and other YA reads got me used to unrealistic heroes who have no previous past and no eyes for anyone but the heroine. It's not the authors fault that I want unrealistic heroes who can love only the heroine and whose first love is the heroine. I thinkt this is a great series for others, but I won't read and because some of my friends prefer no OW even after hero and heroine meet I always post this non-reviews.

Thanks for trying to share your love for the series with me.

message 15: by Kiki (new) - added it

Kiki I'm with Veronica on this one! The vague memories of the whole series seems very childish to me now. I may have liked it at some point but doesn't seem to be worth a a re-read hence definitely not worth anything above a 2 star!
The kissing may not actually be cheating BUT when you're apparently SO involved with someone that a vegas marriage turns into forever, if your knee jerk reaction to being kissed by OW is not to shove them off and throw up and the hysterically look for your wife praying to God she doesn't misunderstand, then your marriage is probably not as adult and everlasting as you're trying to portray!
The spinoff series is definitely much better, if the firs book is any indication, but this, I am done with!

GimmeAllTheWerdssss Kiki wrote: "I'm with Veronica on this one! The vague memories of the whole series seems very childish to me now. I may have liked it at some point but doesn't seem to be worth a a re-read hence definitely not ..."

It's funny how our perspective on things change. Looking back I probably wouldn't have been a big fan of this book or this series if I judged it based on my current standards...

message 17: by Gio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gio Listmaker Great Way to Let people know about OW Veronica. You help clarify why I did not enjoy this book. I had forgotten why.

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Kiki wrote: "I'm with Veronica on this one! The vague memories of the whole series seems very childish to me now. I may have liked it at some point but doesn't seem to be worth a a re-read hence definitely not ..."

I wish contemporary romance series weren't so repetitive, I usually read only book 1

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards ReadingisMyEscape wrote: "Kiki wrote: "I'm with Veronica on this one! The vague memories of the whole series seems very childish to me now. I may have liked it at some point but doesn't seem to be worth a a re-read hence de..."

Tell me about it! I wish I could re-rate all the books with OW that I rated with 3 stars or more. I can't re-read and re-rate!

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Gio wrote: "Great Way to Let people know about OW Veronica. You help clarify why I did not enjoy this book. I had forgotten why."

I see you gave it a 2 stars rating!! Yet you like some of this author other books so I won't discount Scott yet.

message 21: by Gio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gio Listmaker Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote: "Gio wrote: "Great Way to Let people know about OW Veronica. You help clarify why I did not enjoy this book. I had forgotten why."

I see you gave it a 2 stars rating!! Yet you like some of this aut..."

I like her characterizations. She gives you a deep understanding of why they react to situations. I remember lots of childish fighting in this one but not sure what else.

I love Mal in this one. He is the reason I kept going. The 2nd book has a small misunderstanding with OW drama but not cheating as far as I am concerned. The 3rd is good because of the heroine. Although there is a lot of OM drama.

When I say Drama it does not come across as cheating to me. It is more of a jealousy thing. IMO

You will have to do more research to see if it something you can handle.

It is hard for me to recommend you read them without warning you about the OW/OM Drama. I have a little more tolerance than you do with it and would not want you to go in blind.

V. A Court of Wings and Ruin is NEW ADULT/EROTICA but Goodreads editors won't tell you to include it in the choice awards Gio wrote: "Veronica hates cheating/disloyal heros in "Romance" books wrote: "Gio wrote: "Sometimes, If I have a warning I can overlook some OW/OM drama. It depends on how it was written.

I can overlook OM drama as long as it stays at kisses or non-descriptive making out. More than that it's a huge no specially if it's descriptive (Bad romeo comes to mind)
OW is okay as long as it happens before couple kisses for the first time. When they kiss is when I pair them together even if they haven't exchanged promises or have officially become a couple.

I'm actually more open to OW than some of our safety gang friends who don't like anything OW after meeting. I just like to add warning to my reviews because as you said, if we're warned we can end up enjoying the book.