Emma's Reviews > The Romanovs: 1613-1918

The Romanovs by Simon Sebag Montefiore

28602001

bookshelves: audible

Review to follow.

But it's basically just going to say it's excellent so if you don't need any more info than that, you're good to go.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Romanovs.

June 25, 2016 – Shelved
June 25, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 11, 2016 – Started Reading
August 11, 2016 – Shelved as: audible
August 11, 2016 –
25.0% "Honestly, every time punishment is mentioned in this book, I get tense. It's gruesome in the extreme. My particular favourite (!) is impalement through the anus. Each time this is the answer to whatever human has caused a problem, it makes me shudder..."
August 12, 2016 –
40.0% "I'm going to add 'tongues ripped out' to my list of fun Russian punishments. Montefiore writes that one woman had hers ripped out so violently she passed out. My thought was: who the hell doesn't faint when they have that happen? I had my tongue pierced when i was younger and nearly face planted."
August 15, 2016 –
70.0% "Never have I been so pleased that i'm not a member of a specific family. Though my family Christmas day celebrations makes me feel somewhat similar about being part of mine."
September 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Carlos I'm glad you liked this book, it was so informative, I had information overload all the time I was reading this .

Emma Carlos wrote: "I'm glad you liked this book, it was so informative, I had information overload all the time I was reading this ."

It's crammed full, isn't it?! I had a bit of an advantage as I studied a lot of Russian history at uni, especially Peter the Great and the revolution. I listened to this but I'm thinking of buying the book aswell, so I can refer to the info a bit more easily.

Carlos Emma wrote: "Carlos wrote: "I'm glad you liked this book, it was so informative, I had information overload all the time I was reading this ."

It's crammed full, isn't it?! I had a bit of an advantage as I stu..."

I love russian History , especially the pre revolution times .And yeah i would buy this book , its so well researched, The foot notes is what killed me tough , (there were so much info in those tiny letters).

message 4: by Emma (last edited Sep 06, 2016 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Carlos wrote: "Emma wrote: "Carlos wrote: "I'm glad you liked this book, it was so informative, I had information overload all the time I was reading this ."

It's crammed full, isn't it?! I had a bit of an advan..."

Yeah that's the bit that doesn't come over in the audio. Will definitely get the p/b when it comes out! It'd be handy to have a picture of the family tree too-to visualise how it all worked.

Carlos Emma wrote: "Carlos wrote: "Emma wrote: "Carlos wrote: "I'm glad you liked this book, it was so informative, I had information overload all the time I was reading this ."

It's crammed full, isn't it?! I had a ..."

Yeah i would recommend you read Sapiens and SPQR , (but i saw you were reading It already), those were great books too, and also I saw you had read Harry dresden books? I love that series, what book # are you up to ? i can't wait for Peace talks!