Alan Williams's Reviews > The Lizard's Bite

The Lizard's Bite by David Hewson

bookshelves: crime

Falconi, Peroni, Costa, Lupo & the former FBI agent Emily Deacon return.

A fire in a glass foundry leaves two dead, but is it an accident, a murder/suicide, or double murder?  Falconi and his team having been banished from their Roman home to the city of Venice slowly uncover a tale of deceit and murder in the ancient city.   With Massiter the intriguing Englishman all is not as it seems, and as further murders follow, Falconi's men must uncover the truth.

This is the fourth "Nic Costa" book, and the series goes from strength to strength, from the horrific opening scenes to the satisfying final chapters, this entry in the Costa series is by far the best of the first four, in my opinion.  As I have read the series out of order I know that it goes from strength to strength from here on, but I am trying to start and read/reread the series from the beginning.

For me, whilst these are very much of the crime crime/mystery genre, they are also about art, culture, architecture, travel, good food and good wine.  One of my favourite weekend pastimes now is to sit with a Nic Costa tale, and a glass of Italian white that I have read about in a previous outing.

The Lizard's Bite also sits alongside David Hewson's standalone novel, "The Cemetery of Secrets", although I have yet to read the latter, and either book can be read without the benefit of the other, some characters appear in both books.

Ah, Venice and murder, another outstanding Nic Costa tale from David Hewson, recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lizard's Bite.

May 13, 2011 – Shelved
August 21, 2011 – Started Reading
August 21, 2011 –
page 81
17.09% "Ah Venice and murder!"
August 22, 2011 –