elle's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: fantasy, read-with-ebook

FIVE STARS

This book was amazing! I loved the wits, the characters, the sceneries, the way one thing was connected to another, and just this whole story.

Eddard Stark was an honorable, righteous and caring man, and Westeros lacks this type of man. I really liked his character and how he always does the right thing, and I teared up when he "confessed his treason" when he's very reluctant to because he didn't want to crush his daughter's pleading, showing how much he loved them.

One character I also liked, heck, I even adored this character, is Tyrion Lannister. I hate Cersei and Jaime in this book, that's for sure, but Tyrion has something that the Lannisters in this book lack: wisdom. Reading his point-of-views always leave me in awe.

The western sky was a deep purple, speckled with stars. Tyrion wondered whether this was the last sunrise he would ever see … and whether wondering was a mark of cowardice.

That was such a wise line!

Also, this book shows the conflicts of politics and all the problems they cause just because they all want to be the most powerful house who rules King's Landing or what, except for House Stark who's only marching to King's Landing to retrieve Eddard and then leave peacefully (I salute!). What these dumb houses didn't know was that there's a greater enemy beyond the wall that protects Westeros and we can only know about them when reading Jon's point-of-view.

As Lord Commander Mormont said,

“It’s not,” Mormont told him. “Gods save us, boy, you’re not blind and you’re not stupid. When dead men come hunting in the night, do you think it matters who sits the Iron Throne?”

Yeah, a lot of people could learn from that line, maybe even Daenerys.

Daenerys is currently in Essos, planning to take the seven kingdoms and claim her right since both her brothers are dead, so she needs an army, but I don't think she'll be having a difficulty with that because she already has three beautiful dragons who would be the death of me. I teared up at the part where Khal Drogo died because he was such a good husband to Dany and he didn't deserve this fate.

Speaking of death, this book is full of them.

Lesson number one when you read this series: Don't get attached to any characters. You might end up crying a lot when they die (me to Eddard). Yes, this series is full of deaths because, why won't it be? It's war against war and loyalty against treason that death is inevitable.

Let him grow taller, she asked the gods. Let him know sixteen, and twenty, and fifty. Let him grow as tall as his father, and hold his own son in his arms. Please, please, please.

Same, Catelyn. I literally pray this for all the characters.

Really! Instead of fighting over a damn chair, why won't they just focus on helping the Night's Watch from the dead people who will do some indiscriminate killing spree once they've entered Westeros?

“They were the Kings of Winter,” Bran whispered. Somehow it felt wrong to talk too loudly in this place.

Osha smiled. “Winter’s got no king. If you’d seen it, you’d know that, summer boy.”

See?! Winter's got no king so stop trying to be kings like ugh, there's a bigger war outside and you're all acting like whiny children fighting for the silver toy. All you have to do is unite and fight with the Night's Watch, but due to you and your pride, that won't happen.

“Peace?” Tyrion swirled his wine thoughtfully, took a deep draft, and hurled his empty cup to the floor, where it shattered into a thousand pieces. “There’s your peace, Ser Harys. My sweet nephew broke it for good and all when he decided to ornament the Red Keep with Lord Eddard’s head. You’ll have an easier time drinking wine from that cup than you will convincing Robb Stark to make peace now. He’s winning … or hadn’t you noticed?”

Nice one, Tyrion!

But anyway, this book is great! I really recommend it to everybody who are wise enough to understand the meaning of this book. George R. R. Martin is a total genius.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes elle Liked

George R.R. Martin
“I have a realistic grasp of my own strengths and weaknesses. My mind is my weapon. My brother has his sword, King Robert has his warhammer, and I have my mind… and a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. That’s why I read so much, Jon Snow.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones

June 25, 2016 – Started Reading
June 25, 2016 – Shelved
June 25, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 25, 2016 –
page 45
5.39% "You can never get tired of this book."
June 30, 2016 –
page 102
12.22% "I can never get tired of reading Tyrion's point of views."
June 30, 2016 –
page 102
12.22% "I can never get tired of reading Tyrion's point of views."
July 1, 2016 –
page 150
17.96% "Loving it, as usual!"
July 1, 2016 –
page 197
23.59% "I miss those days where the tv show was just like the book"
July 2, 2016 –
page 256
30.66% "Okay I really adore Tyrion Lannister"
July 4, 2016 –
page 277
33.17% "brilliant"
July 10, 2016 –
page 449
53.77% "Okay Wow ™ this Book ™ is simply Great ™"
July 10, 2016 –
page 449
53.77% "Okay Wow ™ this Book ™ is simply Great ™"
page 521
62.4% "i'm so close to Robert's *toot* and Ned's *toot* omg"
page 528
63.23% ""Sometimes the gods are merciful." "The Lannisters are not." ooooh renly and that Walk Out ™ so fab"
page 575
68.86% "“Queer?” Pyp was all curiosity. “How queer?” queer as u bye"
July 16, 2016 –
page 649
77.72% "i'm not yet ready to reread ned's death No™"
July 18, 2016 –
page 712
85.27% "i'll finish this today i keep on slumping"
July 20, 2016 – Finished Reading