Lisa Vegan's Reviews > The Flower Man

The Flower Man by Mark Ludy

May 12, 2011

bookshelves: childrens, fiction, picture-books, reviewed
Recommended for: every reader who can enjoy a wordless picture book, including some who don’t know that

5 5 5 5 5 full stars! This is now one of my favorite virtually wordless picture books. Do not rush through this one! It’s worth it to view everything very meticulously and that takes quite a bit of time with this book. Color is used brilliantly to help tell this story. It’s a lovely and special story that can be appreciated on so many levels. One person can make a difference, the potential for a community to grow and change for the better, oh so much. And the illustrations are just wonderful as pictures. I love this book!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flower Man.

message 1: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Wow! I cannot wait to get my hands on this book! :-) It does sound like one I'll want in my permanent collection.

Lisa Vegan Kathryn wrote: "Wow! I cannot wait to get my hands on this book! :-) It does sound like one I'll want in my permanent collection."

It's hard to say for others but I think it will be, yes.

message 3: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Lisa wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Wow! I cannot wait to get my hands on this book! :-) It does sound like one I'll want in my permanent collection."

It's hard to say for others but I think it will be, yes."

I just love the cover! It makes me think a little of the Disney/Pixar film, "UP" :-)

Lisa Vegan Well, I can't wait for you to see how the inside develops. I should have told Crystal though: the last picture her daughter might be freaked out by the expression on the girl's face. It's not perfectly done. But the book is so cool!

Lisa Vegan Abigail wrote: ""5 5 5 5 5 full stars!"

But tell us how you really feel, Lisa... ;)"

;-)

Crystal Marcos We loved this book! So happy I purchased this one and added it to our wordless book collection. A definite favorite. Have you read any other books by Mark Ludy? I am going to go add some to my to-read now.

Lisa Vegan Crystal, I just saw your review. I have The Grump on reserve. Don't want to read the farm one. I think he has just 4? I can't imagine any are as good as this one.

Crystal Marcos Lisa wrote: "Crystal, I just saw your review. I have The Grump on reserve. Don't want to read the farm one. I think he has just 4? I can't imagine any are as good as this one."

You are probably right. Oh! I can't wait to see what you think about the Grump. I did read that it was quite a lengthy read. I hope I don't miss seeing your review.

message 9: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn He has other books that aren't listed on GoodReads for some reason. I got one from the library called When I Was a Girl . . . I Dreamed by Justin Matott-- Ludy is the illustrator but not the author on this one. It looks great and I can't wait to read it! :-)

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Mark Ludy is listed as the illustrator on that one, Kathryn. Sometimes we do have to add illustrators, I've noticed; I mean the GR librarians.

message 11: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Vegan Thanks, Abigail. I did actually wonder. ;-) I figured if it had been done recently, it was probably you. Thank you!

Crystal Marcos Thanks Kathryn, I added it. Look forward to reading your thoughts.

message 13: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn Abigail wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Mark Ludy is listed as the illustrator on that one, Kathryn. Sometimes we do have to add illustrators, I've noticed; I mean the GR librarians."

Oops! Sorry ladies, I meant to post and mention that I added in the illustrator! Kathryn is not crazy, I swear! ;) "

Haha! ;-p Thank you ;-) And, I'm glad you did add him as the illustrator on this one.