Emily's Reviews > Devoured

May 12, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: genre-young-adult, genre-sci-fi-fantasy
Read from June 07 to 09, 2011

Nine years ago, Megan lost her twin Remy in a terrible car accident. Megan doesn't know what to do with Remy when she pops in for visits, but as Remy becomes more incoherant and shows Megan visions of murders, Megan has nowhere to turn. Having just been hired at the Land of Enchantment amusement park, Megan finds an unexpected ally who also sees her sister, Luke.

Megan's life is now spiraling out of control with a boyfriend who has an unusual attachment to his best friend who is a girl, Luke who she has feelings for that are not those as a friend, and Ari who likes Luke getting venomous everytime Megan talks to Luke, not to mention that Remy is trying to warn Megan away as her life is in danger.

Creative story, lacked a bit of substance but flowed really quickly. A modern day revamp of the Snow White tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devoured.

message 1: by jD (new)

jD Sounds like a YA headache with a lot of emotional angst. Good review. Thanks.

Emily It was and it kept switching from first person to narrative, which was distracting. The concept was good though.

message 3: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Is that like a writing trend now? It's awful to read when a writer doesn't make a distinctive choice in pov, I'm reading one like that now on and off and what should have been done in an hour I haven't finished 2 weeks later.

Emily Jenn wrote: "Is that like a writing trend now? It's awful to read when a writer doesn't make a distinctive choice in pov, I'm reading one like that now on and off and what should have been done in an hour I ha..."

I have read a few like this, generally I have stopped reading but this one was short and my curiousity got the better of me.

message 5: by Jenn (new)

Jenn Maybe I'm a creature of habits, but I personally think there are a few writing rules that aren't meant to be broken, not making a clear POV choice is one of them.

Emily Jenn wrote: "Maybe I'm a creature of habits, but I personally think there are a few writing rules that aren't meant to be broken, not making a clear POV choice is one of them."

I agree and I struggle with some first person narrative as it is. I agree with you on this one, notice it is becoming quite common though see it a lot in ebook format.

message 7: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I'm the same way with a lot of first person, I'm seeing a lot more talented first person writers lately, but its a very difficult POV to write well. What I really can't get into is First Person Present Tense. Combining the two is just jarring for me to read.

Emily I too have found a few that I actually really enjoyed, normally I find it off putting but they seem to be getting better. I agree with you it is almost like reading text messages, I just read one and it was like a Sookie Stackhouse on crack just all over the map (was not Charlaine Harris) but it was all over the place like a tornado hopping from one thought to the next. Reminded me of the Dead series though.

message 9: by Jenn (new)

Jenn I have most of the books in that series because I loved the show, have yet to make it through the first one though. Sookie comes across as conceited and the sex scenes are just plain TMI. I haven't gotten rid of them yet because I plain to try again, but I can't see myself buying another. The ones I have I bought in a boxed set.

Emily Jenn wrote: "I have most of the books in that series because I loved the show, have yet to make it through the first one though. Sookie comes across as conceited and the sex scenes are just plain TMI. I haven'..."

I have read all of them except the last one. I initially picked up the first one and put it down about five times before it caught me, than I feasted on the rest. I really enjoyed them all, especially Eric.