Sharon's Reviews > Asking for It: The Alarming Rise of Rape Culture and What We Can Do about It

Asking for It by Kate Harding

Every once in a while, I come across a book that I think should be mandatory reading for everyone in the USA.

This is one of those books.

Reading it, as I did, in the wake of Brock Turner's absurdly brief sentence in county jail for raping an unconscious woman (the same judge sentenced a Salvadoran man to three years in prison for the identical crime) ... and John Enoch's even more ridiculous sentence of *one day* in jail for raping two women in Indiana, I couldn't help but be both surprised and impressed by the information Harding presents about how deeply ingrained our culture is when it comes to blaming victims instead of rapists.

Harding examines rape culture not only where it applies to actual rape cases, but societal attitudes, police attitudes -- and even the so-called men's rights activist and Gamergate movements and their role in the problem.

The fact is, we live in a society where women are still seen as prizes to be won -- and where we are told to police our own behavior so that men don't have to police theirs. It's an absurd thing, especially given that men are also sexually assaulted -- but it is the truth, and it must be combated.

This book is an excellent start. Read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asking for It.

June 24, 2016 – Shelved