James Williams's Reviews > The Lives of Dax

The Lives of Dax by Marco Palmieri

liked it

If 90% of everything is crap*, licensed sci-fi novels are the exception that push that law close to 95%. There are a lot of poorly written cookie-cutter novels on whose covers publishers slap a couple logos and sell it to folks like me who'll buy things because they're fans. Indeed, I've largely moved past the licensed books that so completely dominated my youth because the quality tended so far towards the crappier end of the curve.

But, my spouse and I had recently finished watching the full series of Deep Space Nine and I wanted more. What better place to start than with the DS9 relaunch, of which this book has been retroactively named the first? So I grabbed it, excited to read more about one of the more compelling characters Trek has ever produced.

And I find myself fortunate that it's not bad. It's no great work of literature. It won't stand the touch of time. But it's a collection of decent stories that all add a little more flavor to the Star Trek universe. If I had any complaints, it was that a couple of the stories had a bit too much fan service. Sure, it was inevitable that Curzon's story would involve a young Ben Sisko. And I suppose it was already canon that Emony Dax had met an even young Leonard McCoy. But did they have to drink a Picard wine on their date? That's just ridiculous.

That aside, this was a fun bit of Star Trek. If you like that sort of thing, you should pick it up.

* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lives of Dax.

May 12, 2011 – Shelved
July 16, 2011 – Started Reading
July 16, 2011 –
page 43
12.39% "I was expecting a novel and got a short story collection. I think I can live with that."
July 17, 2011 –