Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > The Last Woman Standing: A Novel

The Last Woman Standing by Thelma   Adams

Jun 24, 2016

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle-first

This is my June Kindle First pick and it's the first one I have picked since January that I haven't liked. I thought it sounded really good reading a fiction book about Wyatt Earp's common law wife told in her words. And the first few sentences of the book reeled me right in....

EXCERPT

Tombstone kicked my ass and I kicked back. No one expected that of a little Jewish girl from a no-name family.

So just from those words I thought it was going to be a butt kicking chic to rock it out with the Earp's. No. I mean, it could have been that since this is fiction right? No.

The only other part in the book that was worth writing about is a word from Doc Holliday.

EXCERPT

Doc wasted no time. The moment Mollie turned her back, the dentist leaned over toward my chair, his minty breath all that I could inhale, grabbed my wrist in the vice of his long fingers, and focused those intense eyes on mine. He said in a low and threatening voice: "If you mess with Wyatt, Miss Josephine, you will answer to me. As a dentist, I have the power to rearrange those pearly teeth in your mouth."

I didn't like Josephine's character. She came to Tombstone to marry a law man named Johnny and he was a crook and a bad man. He was just using her the whole time and she was too stupid to see it. She has her father wire her a good amount of money to build the house that was promised to her because her no account fiance only started the thing and then quit. He never intended to marry her and she was too stupid to see it. Until she walked in on him and another lady. She then goes on over to the brothel and was going to work there instead of going home to her parents. Hello? But Wyatt saves her. It's said in real life that she did work in a brothel and that is where she met Johnny but I don't know that for sure.

She liked handsome Wyatt right off the bat when she met saw him. She flirted with him when Johnny wasn't around. She flirted with a few men. The book dragged so much, I was waiting for something exciting to happen. Yeah, there was a fight out but it just didn't ... I can't even ... it's not worth mentioning.

After Josephine is with Wyatt and all of the stuff hits the fan with the bad buys including her ex Johnny (who was the sheriff) she finally goes home to her family. And eventually Wyatt comes and gets her.

There is like a whole big section of her getting her pictures taking by a lady named Mollie that Wyatt sent her too. It was pointless and boring with the exception of Doc being a boarder there and hanging around, but even he couldn't spice it up but for that one part.

I love the idea of what the author was trying to do but this book just wasn't for me. I hope to find something similar. There seems to be a lot of mixed reviews on the book so you may love it and you may not. That is for you to decide!

My 2 stars are for the idea of the book, it's a very good one!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Woman Standing.

June 24, 2016 – Started Reading
June 24, 2016 – Shelved
June 24, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle-first
June 27, 2016 –
14.0% "Hmmm, I don't know yet. It's not exactly what I thought but we shall see ;-)"
June 27, 2016 –
34.0% "I thought there was going to be more Wyatt Earp in this book. He's only been in it a few times up to this point and one mention of Doc Holliday. I need a different book but with them IN it :-/"
June 27, 2016 –
50.0% "Will something happen! I'm enjoying the setting but the rest is bleh so far. This is fiction, let's make up some good fiction. Lol"
June 27, 2016 –
64.0% "Now that we have moved on from the idiots we now have more Wyatt and Doc!"
June 27, 2016 – Finished Reading

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin If any one knows of any good fiction books with Wyatt and Doc let me know :-)

message 2: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Greenfield "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell was very good.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you Kathy! :-)

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Miller Hi Melissa, thanks for another great review. So sorry The Last Woman Standing didn't play out well. That does seem to happen to good ideas that don't come to fruition. Poor planning or development..who know?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you Kathy. I was so excited but it just wasn't for me. It's such a good idea though. Some people loved it, some people didn't, I just couldn't.

But the book "Doc" mentioned by the other Kathy above is on my Amazon wishlist. It sounds really good! :-)

Peggy "Doc" is excellent. I believe there is also a sequel, though I haven't read it yet.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I bought Doc! Yay! I hope to start it soon :-)

message 8: by Michael (last edited Aug 20, 2016 10:04AM) (new) - added it

Michael Kathy wrote: ""Doc" by Mary Doria Russell was very good."

Melissa wrote: "If any one knows of some good fiction books with Wyatt and Doc, let me know: -)"

Doc is great there is now a sequel out Epitaph: A Novel of the O.K. Corral, which is good, but not spot on like Doc.

There are hundreds of non-fiction books about the Earps in Arizona. Two great ones are The Last Gunfight: The Real Story of the Shootout at the O.K. Corral-And How It Changed the American West by Jeff Guinn and Inventing Wyatt Earp; His Life and Many Legends by Allen Barra. While I have not yet read any, there are bios of Josephine among them Josephine Earp: A Woman of the West by Titan Read. As of today only $0.99 on
Kindle.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Thank you for the recommendations :-)

Colleen I just gave it 2 stars also. Not the greatest.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I'm glad I'm not the only one that wasn't into it. But the book, Doc, was awesome!

Rachel Aranda Girl you were so right about this book being not that good. I just finished it and didn't like it. Even just finished my review about it and was confused by it.