jesse's Reviews > Attachments

Read on October 27, 2011

3.75/5

ending/romance: bleh
everything else: thumbs up

matthew mcconaughey represents a certain type of romantic-comedy hero that i’ve come to loathe. the man-pig. the bad boy. the douchebag. the guy who has to be tamed or fixed – or by-true-love cured. when it’s not matthew mcconaughey in this role, it’s gerard butler. or josh duhamel. it’s always somebody who looks good with his shirt off because that’s what this character has instead of redeeming qualities – a really spectacular chest. it’s supposed to be disarming, i think. but it’s not.

for me, there’s nothing romantic – or even darkly irresistible – about a roguishly handsome guy who treats women like kleenex. when one of these characters comes on screen, i always want katherine heigl to run the other way as fast as she can. (it’s always katherine heigl, isn’t it? someone in hollywood loves watching katherine heigl fall in love with lower primates.)

this stereotype – the guys who hates women until he finds the right one – isn’t just gross; it’s kind of a dangerous lie. i’ve never met a creep who was just one kate hudson encounter away from being a great catch. it’s insulting to men, i think, to imply that they need kate hudson to turn them. that they have to be tricked into wanting love at all. and it’s insulting to love to imply that this is the point. falling in love isn’t about turning a bad person good.

[ rowell | pop culture junkie ]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Attachments.

10/27/2011 "What did he have to mope about, really? What more did he want? Love, he could hear Eve saying. Purpose. Love. Purpose. Those are the things that you can’t plan for. Those are the things that just happen. And what if they don’t happen? Do you spend your whole life pining for them? Waiting to be happy?"
10/27/2011 "He was quiet for a moment. “Eve, do you think it was damaging to grow up without a father?” “Probably,” she said, stealing his biscuit. “Is that what’s bothering you?” “I’m just trying to figure out what’s wrong with me.” “Well, stop,” she said. “I told you, figure out what’s right with you.”"
10/27/2011 "I was pretty far gone when there was a knock at my window. Your Cute Guy. He was still standing there. He seemed embarrassed by the whole situation, almost physically pained to have to deal with me. He said, “I feel like I should call your husband,” all firm and determined. (I was just a little bit hurt that he assumed I had a husband. It was kind of like being called “madame” when you still feel like a “mademoiselle"