Sandra's Reviews > A Tale of Two Castles

A Tale of Two Castles by Gail Carson Levine

May 12, 2011

bookshelves: fantasy, in-english, e-books, read-in-2011, fairytale
Read from July 16 to 17, 2011

Gail Carson Levine is well known and loved for her retellings of fairytales. And rightly so: the writing is pleasant, the worlds are magical, the characters loveable and the stories are good. Her stories are retellings, yes, but still original and never failing to present a twist and a moral. A Tale Of Two Castles was no different.

I like reading Levine's books because they really speak to me. Even if they may be intended for a younger audience, I can't help but loving (nearly) everything she releases. In this book I really fell in love with Elodie: a brave, young girl who has her wits about her and learns to look past prejudices. The other characters were good and believable too, with the ogre Count Jonty Um and the dragon Meenore being other personal favourites.

I like fairytales and their retellings because there is always something to be learned from them. I loved the moral in this book, and though it may not have been a very original message, that doesn't diminish its importance. I can truly say that if I had kids, I would read this book to them. I think that's the highest praise I can give.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Tale of Two Castles.

07/16/2011