Julia's Reviews > The History of History

The History of History by Ida Hattemer-Higgins

May 12, 2011

Oh, how I was touched and gripped by this very strange and wonderful novel. The passion with which this talented young author chooses her words and winds her character's tale is truly awe-inspiring.

Though I've never been to Berlin, Hattemer-Higgins brings that city literally to life in a way that can't be ignored.

The main character seems on the surface to be so odd and so crazy that there might be no way to relate to her. But in the end, it's her very real and familiar struggle with passionate love, loss, and her need to face her own demons that make her so like all of us in so many ways.

This is by no means a breezy read, but when I read the last sentence and put it down, I felt like my thoughts were clear and my mind had expanded over the course of the book to accept the possibility of the existence of an alternate reality that had power over the present.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of History.

Finished Reading
May 12, 2011 – Shelved

message 1: by Jerry (last edited Oct 27, 2017 07:36AM) (new) - added it

Jerry I'm only five chapters in, but I am resonating strongly to your review. What I don't get, among some people's reviews here, is the complaint that they just couldn't "enjoy" this book . . . and so (of course?) they stopped reading it. Well, just dropping by here; need to get back — the chapter I just read was the one where Berlin ("Berolina") became flesh, and the one coming up more fully enters the world of Magda Goebbels . . . .