Shannon Thompson's Reviews > Outrun the Moon

Outrun the Moon by Stacey  Lee

bookshelves: historical

My heart is both heavy and uplifted. Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee is brilliant, terrifying, unifying, and brave. If you aren’t familiar with this novel, Outrun the Moon is about a very intelligent young woman from Chinatown in San Francisco following her studious, entrepreneurial dreams in 1906. This means the story takes place during the historic earthquake, and the disaster definitely changes everything and everyone. If you’re looking for a culturally rich and historically moving piece, this book is for you. I loved everything about Mercy Wong and her family, and I was absolutely enthralled with the world she lived in and how she planned to change it. Between hot air balloons, specialty chocolates, and wealthy schools for the elite, Mercy promises to fight her way into a school for a proper education, and once she makes it, her entire world falls apart. How she handles her life during the earthquake disaster is moving—I definitely cried—and nothing short of inspirational.
One of my favorite reads this year.
Highly recommended for all.
~SAT
Recommended to: YA historical readers, and those looking to broaden their support of diverse books (as everyone should be doing). Light romance. Prepare those tissues for a sob fest.
Favorite Quote: “When a law isn’t just, I believe it’s okay to disobey it. In fact, I believe we are morally obligated to disobey it.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outrun the Moon.

June 22, 2016 – Started Reading