Malene's Reviews > Long Shot

Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan

bookshelves: arc, fav-author, part-of-a-series, friends-to-lovers, angsty, sexual-abuse, sports-romance, single-mother

I’ve read every book from Kennedy Ryan and what characterizes her work is that she always goes big. Epic. In every sense of the word. It’s the same with Long Shot. She has a clear point of view with this story. She doesn’t hold back and goes with her characters where it hurts. Long Shot is brutal, raw and heartbreaking but it has to be cause it’s the truth given the topics this book centers around. Nothing is sugarcoated and the actions and choices that are made feel real and true to the characters. The author has done her research when it comes to domestic abuse and it showed in her characterization of Iris and August, Lotus, Caleb.

Long Shot is Iris’s story. No, it’s not just Iris’s story. It’s a lot of women’s story.
Long Shot spans over years and it gives the reader time to connect and invest themselves in Iris and August. In their story. Separately and them together. I sure as hell. From their first meeting in the bar. Their connection was immediate and palpable.
Iris is a glorious and incredible character. A warrior. A survivor. Her story brought me to my knees. My heart broke for her cause her story is another woman’s too. I knew there was light at the other end of the tunnel and it was worth it to go through all this violence to get it.
Iris got her freedom because of her strength, determination, love for her daughter and support from her cousin and BFF Lotus. From her incredible man August.

Iris and August are destined to be together from the moment they met but choices derailed that. Long Shot is also about taking chances. Risks. Seize the moment and make choices that feels right for you. Make you feel heard. Iris encompasses and captures all of that with her independence and incredible strength. August is her compass. Her love and her center and vice versa. He’s deadset in his love for Iris and it never wavers. Together they’re an entity.

Once again I’m amazed and in awe of this author. Her prose and dedication to the story is spectacular. Her prose is poignant and powerful. With Long Shot she captures a crime which is deeply rooted in the societal inequality between women and men. It’s done with respect, care and thoughtfulness. This’s exactly why this book is important. It matters and must be read and experienced. I can’t recommend it enough.

5 BadAssDirtyPlayMeAtThe5Stars

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Shot.

June 22, 2016 – Shelved
June 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 15, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
March 16, 2018 – Started Reading
March 16, 2018 –
17.0% "Her lashes drop, and she shakes her head. She doesn’t need to say anymore. Her gorgeous face is so earnest."
March 16, 2018 –
28.0% "This fucking hurts......"
March 16, 2018 –
40.0% "“I should have done this the night we met,” I whisper into her mouth, my head spinning from breathing her air. “It should have been me, Iris.”"
March 17, 2018 –
52.0% "I draw a deep, bracing breath, strength in my lungs and pulsing through my blood. I breathe out my fears, releasing my reservations and all that could hold me back. And then I feel it. The power that changed a river’s course floods my veins, and I rise inside, so high I assume a new form, a new shape. A new course."
March 17, 2018 –
60.0% "I stare at his mouth drawing on a muscle in my thigh, an erotic suction that ripples shockwaves to my core. The sound of it, his lips and teeth and tongue working in tandem to mark me, leaves me a trembling mess.

😍😍😍"
March 17, 2018 –
71.0% "“I told you if you were ever mine, I’d play you at the five.” The sound of a smile breaks through his voice. “You’re the center, Iris.”

😍😍😭😭"
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: angsty
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: sexual-abuse
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: sports-romance
July 10, 2019 – Shelved as: single-mother

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

message 1: by Hanne (new)

Hanne Awesome review!

Malene Hanne wrote: "Awesome review!"

Thank you!❤️

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Great review, Malene_D!

Malene Diane wrote: "Great review, Malene_D!"

Thank you, Diane. This book was difficult but so important

message 5: by CC (new)

CC Wonderful review, Malene! Glad it was such a winner for you! xo

Malene CC wrote: "Wonderful review, Malene! Glad it was such a winner for you! xo"

Thanks hon. It was. I was utterly consumed with Iris and August

message 7: by KAS (new)

KAS Fantastic review, Malene ;) Glad this author always produces an epic read for you!! xoxo

Malene KAS wrote: "Fantastic review, Malene ;) Glad this author always produces an epic read for you!! xoxo"

Thanks KAS. Yes, her books delivers all the feels and an incredible story

message 9: by Michelle (new) - added it

Michelle Claypot_Reads Awesome review. I am very excited for this story

Malene Michelle wrote: "Awesome review. I am very excited for this story"

Thank you! I am excited for you to read it

message 11: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy Absolutely fantastic review, Malene! It sounds incredible, so excited for the release!

Malene Emmy wrote: "Absolutely fantastic review, Malene! It sounds incredible, so excited for the release!"

Thanks babe. I hope you enjoy it and power through even though it gets very uncomfortable. It’s worth it !

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Awesome review, babe <3 xx

Malene Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Awesome review, babe <3 xx"

Thanks lovely ❤️

Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover Fantastic review sweetie!

Malene Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover wrote: "Fantastic review sweetie!"

Thanks my lovely ❤️

~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader Amazing review, hun!

Malene ~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader wrote: "Amazing review, hun!"

Thanks hon❤️

message 19: by Tina (new)

Tina H Fab review love

Malene Tina wrote: "Fab review love"

Thanks lovely

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Awesome review my dear! xox Epic indeed.

Malene SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Awesome review my dear! xox Epic indeed."

Thanks hon. Yes , it was. #PlayMeAtTheFive

Heroesinbooks Stunning review M. Can’t wait to read it.

Malene Heroesinbooks wrote: "Stunning review M. Can’t wait to read it."

Thanks hon. I can’t wait for you to read it

TeriLyn Great review, Malene!

Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️ Fabulous review Malene!!! Kennedy Ryan is so amazing for sure!! ❤️

Malene TeriLyn wrote: "Great review, Malene!"

Thanks TeriLyn and likewise. Your review made me tear up

Malene Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️ wrote: "Fabulous review Malene!!! Kennedy Ryan is so amazing for sure!! ❤️"

Thanks hon. Yes, Ryan is freakin incredible. Favorite author for sure

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Great review!

Malene Sarah wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you, Sarah!

♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ Fabulous review, Malene xo

Malene ♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥ wrote: "Fabulous review, Malene xo"

Thanks Jx. It’s easy when the book Impacts you and Long Shot did exactly that

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover awesome review love!

Paige Fantastic review, Malene!

Malene Paige wrote: "Fantastic review, Malene!"

TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover wrote: "awesome review love!"

Thanks ladies❤️

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Stunning review, babe. I hope I get around reading this soon!

Olga therebelreader Fantastic review Malene. I'm glad this was a win!

Malene Astrid - ☆Vanilla & Spice Books☆ wrote: "Stunning review, babe. I hope I get around reading this soon!"

Thanks gorgeous. I hope you do too!

Malene Olga therebelreader wrote: "Fantastic review Malene. I'm glad this was a win!"

Thanks hon. It definitely was a winner

Antonella beautiful story & beautiful review... xx

Malene Antonella wrote: "beautiful story & beautiful review... xx"

It sure was! Thanks hon❤️🏀