Tajanator's Reviews > Patient Zero

Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry

Jun 22, 2016

did not like it
bookshelves: gave-up-on, bako-book-nerds

Marked "Gave up on" 7/5/16 at 15%.

Ok, I am calling it. Whenever I start to dread picking up a book, that is when I know I have completely lost interest in finishing it.

This one was voted in for my book club's zombie genre month. But it really doesn't feel like any sort of a zombie story to me. This book doesn't even read like a fiction novel. It actually feels like a military non-fiction book... and war-on-terrorism book which is absolutely uninteresting to me given the current political climate. This book seems to be more interested with the terrorist and his side-of-the-story than it does with the scary zombie horror story which is what is clearly advertised by the bookcover and synopsis. Super feels like false advertising on that note. The only reason I even got to 15% is because that's my book club's requested minimum read.

At first, this book's strange genre mashup was very appealing to me. It first felt like a detective cop-noir story and the main character Joe Ledger seems really gumshoe in his lines and delivery. But, again, that was only in the first part of the story before we get to know the Fighter/El Mujahid, Gault, and the Woman. If Ledger were the only perspective to read, it might have actually been way more entertaining to me.

I assume by the beginning of the story that El Mujahid and his pals (who seem to claim the same affiliations as the a-holes that caused 9/11) have released a bioweapon which causes the population to become zombified. So, it would be more fun to read if their bioweapon idea was completely crazy and not exactly what we currently fear that they'll do in real life. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy horror and am not unwilling to read about our destruction... but these a-holes have starred in the news for just too long for me to be interested in them on my off-time. I sorta stopped watching the news all together these days in order to avoid all of that crap. So avoiding it is what I am doing here as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Patient Zero.

Quotes Tajanator Liked

Jonathan Maberry
“I’m not sure I could trust a man who would bypass an Oreo in favor of vanilla wafers. It’s a fundamental character flaw, possibly a sign of true evil.”

Jonathan Maberry
“Then this other guy, the thirteenth guy, comes crashing right into me. Even with all that was going on I thought, Drug addict. He was pale and sweaty, stank like raw sewage, and had a glazed bug-eyed stare. Sick bastard even tried to bite me, but”

Jonathan Maberry
“There are also several notes in your file suggesting that you are a world-class smartass.” “Really? You mean I made it through the nationals?” “And you apparently think you’re hilarious.” “You’re saying I’m not?”

Jonathan Maberry
“I’d put two .45 slugs in him from fifteen feet. Pretty much does the trick. If it doesn’t then your only logical ammunition upgrade is Kryptonite. But”

Jonathan Maberry
“Holy Christ . . . are we talking zombies here?” Church smiled faintly. “We’re calling him a ‘walker.’ Short for ‘Dead Man Walking.’ The head of my science team has too much of a pop culture sensibility.”

Jonathan Maberry
“I could feel the shakes starting to come back, so I washed my face, rinsed my mouth out with handfuls of tap water, pasted on my best I-didn’t-just-kill-a-zombie expression, and left with my coffee.”

Jonathan Maberry
“What’s with the shorts?” “There’s a new fitness trainer. Jamaican gal . . . tall, gorgeous.” “And . . . ?” “Bike shorts show off my package.” “Jesus Christ.” “Jealousy is an ugly thing, Joe.” “Get in the fucking car.”

Jonathan Maberry
“I’m self-aware enough to know that I have a somewhat fractured personality. Not exactly multiple personality disorder, but clearly there were different drivers at the wheel depending on my mood, and depending on my needs. Over”

June 22, 2016 – Shelved
June 29, 2016 –
4.0% "Strange... so far this book feels like a cheesy cop drama. Not what I would have expected from a zombie book. Not sure if I should be excited by this or put-off by it..."
June 29, 2016 –
6.0% "Lol his name is Church! I see our author is a fan of Pet Semetary. Love it."
July 2, 2016 –
13.0% "sooo boring so far.. ugh!"
July 3, 2016 –
15.0% "I got through chapter 14. That's probably as far as I'll get with this one. I'm just not interested in war or military...."
July 5, 2016 – Shelved as: gave-up-on