Piotr Kalinowski's Reviews > Programming Elixir 1.2

Programming Elixir 1.2 by Dave Thomas

bookshelves: computers

Good overview of various basic concepts related to Elixir to get you started and wet your appetite for more. It's actually exactly the kind of thing I feel like I need when starting with the new language, as this is how I seem to learn them best: start with an overview to get a general understanding of the “landscape,” and then work with the language filling in any details into that mental scaffolding.

Good read, even if I had a quibble with the way the concept of accumulators was introduced, for example. No, having a running sum as an additional function argument was not the obvious way to write from the specification. I mean, if you were thinking how to implement it in an imperative language, sure, but at this point of the book the specification given looked almost exactly like how you'd define the function in Elixir using pure recursion without tail call optimisation. All in all, it wouldn't be clear why the different method might be better until much later into the book, i.e., how it doesn't exhaust call stack for large inputs.

That wasn't a problem for me, because I don't need introduction to concepts of functional programming. I suppose it might raise eyebrows in people less familiar with these.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Programming Elixir 1.2.

June 19, 2016 – Started Reading