Mick Kelly's Reviews > The Big Time

The Big Time by Fritz Leiber

liked it

I first read this book when I was a teenager -some time ago! I was inspired to re-read it by reading Iain Banks' 'Transition' which is about a similar subject - what happens when different groups in possession of time-travelling ability decide to change the past?

Written in 1958, Fritz Leiber's book certainly stands the test of time (no pun intended), but also shows the marks of having been written in the 1950s. The action takes place in a bubble outside of the real world, where time-travelling soldiers come to recuperate. It is part brothel, part saloon, part philosophical cafe - a kind of non-stop party, where the heroine is one of the hostesses.

It covers interesting and provoking moral dilemmas about the cruelty and tragedy of war and the seeming necessity for it. I suppose the book is really about World War II, but the addition of the ability to change history adds a new dimension as the soldiers destroy or promote civilisations that were dear to them, and destroy their own history.

A good book and worth a read. I have given it 3 stars rather than 4 because science fiction of this vintage is sometimes hard to read in our current age as the gadgets and technology look as up-to-date as a black and white Flash Gordon film. But it's a good book and will reward you for reading it.

Now - back to 'Transition'.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Big Time.

Started Reading