Mara's Reviews > Lab Girl

Lab Girl by Hope Jahren

1923002

liked it
bookshelves: 2016-reads, audiobooks, library-books, non-fiction, recommended-to-me, science

This is less a review than it is a caveat: My experience of “reading” the book was really more of a two star affair— however, I listened to it, and feel pretty confident that I would have enjoyed it more in the written word. The author reads the book herself, and during the parts that are supposed to be sad, she's reading in one of those choked-up/half-crying voices which is beyond annoying. But, what with lady scientist solidarity and such, I'm rounding up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lab Girl.

June 16, 2016 – Started Reading
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: library-books
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: recommended-to-me
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: science

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Emily Yes! I'm about a third of the way through listening to it and I'm throwing in the towel. I cannot take her maudlin voice any longer.

message 2: by K (new) - rated it 5 stars

K I try never to "read" (listen to) anything read by the author. I am just never as satisfied with the book as I am when it is read by a professional reader/actor. Listener beware!

Katherine I'm struggling with this book because of the narration. Egads, don't cry while trying to narrate your own book! Hire someone else to do it! I think I will get it in written form, rather than audio book. Thanks for clarifying that I am not alone!

Lynn Meinders I was troubled a bit at first listen because I wondered if I could be okay with her voice, but like it often is with people in real life, once I got to know her I appreciated her as a human being, soft voice and all.

Tiffany Yes! This! I wish I would have read it instead of listened to it, too. I really started to dislike her after awhile solely based on her voice, which is terrible, I know. I rated it four stars because on reflection, I was interested in the story, but man it was a little torturous at times to listen to,

Elyse Walters I read the physical book
and now I want to ALSO hear Hope speak.
I just love her - already so much ... I hope I don't feel
annoyed.

Thanks though for the warning

MsChris Yes!!! Soo much love for this review!! Her choked up half crying voice was so frustrating.

Teddie Amy Poehler reading her own book? YES! Shonda Rhimes - lay it on me! This one is killing me. Slightly "overwritten" to begin with (why use just 1 adjective when you can use 2?) and the narration is ... wow, really tough.

Mara Teddie wrote: "Amy Poehler reading her own book? YES! Shonda Rhimes - lay it on me! This one is killing me. Slightly "overwritten" to begin with (why use just 1 adjective when you can use 2?) and the narration is..."

YESSS! I have to say. I really wanted to not hate listening to it…but it was so - freaking - annoying!

message 10: by Kamy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kamy Nailed it. Gave it 3 stars for similar reasons.

Jennifer Tancredi Totally agree, I couldn’t get through it.