Angharad (Two Book Thieves)'s Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

bookshelves: fantasy

I couldn't give this series less than five stars.
But Angharad, isn't it just a story about a bunch of people fighting over a chair? Basically musical chairs on crack? Yes but it is so much more!

This is high-fantasy as its best. Don't go into this series looking for a light read. Each book in the series is the size of a house and the amount of characters is enough to cause your brain to go into meltdown mode but George R.R. Martin writes it so well. The story switches between multiple characters and whilst I can admit that I don't care much for some people's POVs, they are still written so effortlessly that I can still read them happily. Switching between characters is effortless, you are immediately transported into the shoes of whoever's chapter it is, regardless of how far away each character is on the map. I must point out that this is very ADULT fiction. There is blood, sex, incest, rape, gore, brutality - it is sometimes very hard to read. People die on pretty much every other page too, even your favourites.
I do highly recommend this series. Even with its flaws, there is a reason the books and television show are much loved. It introduces magic in such a unique way, THERE ARE DRAGONS, and there are twists and turns everywhere. You also feel so accomplished when you get to the end of the book because I dread to think how many trees have gone into making these paperbacks.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

June 20, 2016 – Started Reading