Julie's Reviews > Sweet Little Lies

Sweet Little Lies by Jill Shalvis

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, e-book, edelweiss-review

Sweet Little Lies by Jill Shalvis is a 2016 Avon publication. I received a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

It’s always fun to escape into a Jill Shalvis romance novel, so I’m super excited about getting in on the ground floor of her latest series.

Pru is the captain of a charter boat service giving tours in the San Francisco area when she meets Finn, a local pub owner. Although Pru has given up on unicorns, wishing wells, and fairytales, there is a spark between the couple from the get-go, but Pru knows a little bit more about Finn than she is letting on. The longer she waits to tell Finn about her dark past and the crushing guilt she carries, the harder it becomes to confess. As their relationship progresses, all of Pru’s well- meaning intentions backfire on her as she falls hopelessly in love with Finn. But, someday the truth will have to come out and there is no doubt it will be a deal breaker for Finn. It looks like Pru and Finn are doomed to be star crossed lovers…

Anytime I read a novel with this type of storyline, I squirm and fidget all the way through it, feeling like I really am sitting on pins and needles, nervous with anxious anticipation, knowing it is only a matter of time before the sleeping volcano erupts, and there will be casualties.

Finn’s story is tragic on the surface, but it is also a situation that spurred his emotional growth and made him into an honorable, hardworking guy. I really, really liked Finn, and loved how his ‘all work, and no play’ lifestyle was turned on its head when he started spending time with Pru.

Pru’s story is just plain sad. Not many people in this world would find the strength to fight their way out of their own pain and loss to try and right a wrong, even though it wasn’t their fault in the first place. What she did was most admirable and selfless, but wow, she really did let the guilt consume her a little too much, and I thought perhaps her feelings of responsibility went just a little too far.

But, as saintly as she is, Pru is making a huge mistake with Finn, one that is not fair to him or to herself, and the reader must sit by helplessly as she falls deeper and deeper into the hole she has dug for herself.

What makes Jill Shalvis’ novels stand out for me, is her perfect sense of timing. She tells an emotional story, but blends in laugh out loud humor in just at the right moment. Just when things get really tense or super emotional, she offsets the heaviness with something that has me giggling through my tears.

In many ways this story is trademark Jill Shalvis, a traditional style contemporary romance that appeals to romance lovers of all ages and stripes, that never gets old. But, this story has a different tone to it than many of her other novels, making it special and unique and gets this new series off to a wonderful start!

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweet Little Lies.

Finished Reading
June 20, 2016 – Shelved
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: e-book
June 20, 2016 – Shelved as: edelweiss-review

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Sakura Great review! Sounds like yet another lovely read from Shalvis.

Julie Zandalee wrote: "Great review! Sounds like yet another lovely read from Shalvis."

Thanks Zandalee!!