Eri's Reviews > The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories

The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu

bookshelves: land-of-the-sun, asian-authors, asian-lit, authors-of-color

absolutely shattered and enthralled by this anthology. I read this on audio which meant that I drifted in and out with some of the stories, but many of them left lasting impressions on me, particularly The Paper Menagerie, Mono no Aware, Good Hunting, and finally The Man Who Ended History. The later stories especially make me think of how both willful and unintended ignorance play such a big role in erasing history, and make me regret so much my own gaps in knowledge and history that I have not confronted as much as I should. The last story is weighing on my mind, which is why this is quite some bleak commentary, but on the other hand, stories that celebrate unique and individual aspects of different asian cultures as well as more universal themes that children of immigrants share was so touching and heartfelt, I definitely teared up reading Paper Menagerie and Mono no Aware. I cannot even do justice to the whole range of emotions I felt reading this but thank you Ken Liu for writing this.

Highly highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories.

June 18, 2016 – Shelved
December 23, 2018 – Started Reading
December 23, 2018 –
2.0% "oh this is lovely!"
December 27, 2018 –
42.0% "paper menagerie......tears friends"
January 14, 2019 – Finished Reading