Melanie's Reviews > Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 1

Orange by Ichigo Takano

bookshelves: manga-and-light-novels, buddy-reads, read-in-2017, young-adult, romance, sci-fi, sports

Buddy Read with Cory

Orange is a manga series that will definitely pull on your heartstrings. Heck, before even starting the actual story, the first two art pages at the beginning about broke my heart by themselves. This story starts out with our main character, Naho, receiving a letter from herself ten years in the future. She and her group of friends are sixteen and in eleventh grade in high school, but what her twenty-six-year-old self is trying to warn her of is imperative.

Future Naho informs present day Naho that she will lose the boy she likes if she doesn't change some of the actions and choices she is about to perform and choose. This obviously makes Naho hyper aware of everything she and her friends are doing, because she is so scared she is going to repeat past mistakes and end up losing this boy anyway.

The best part about this manga series is the phenomenal friendships. This book has one of the best circle of friends I've read about in years. They constantly are showing their unconditional love and support to each other, and are honestly a freakin' treat to read about. Seriously, friendship goals.

Naho Takamiya - Main protagonist, who receives the letter about what her life is going to be like in ten years, unless she changes some things. Very shy, very timid, a very sweet little cinnamon roll.

Kakeru Naruse - The boy who will not be in their lives anymore if his friends do not change the past.

Takako Chino - The more outspoken girl in the group. She always sticks up for Naho, since Naho is too shy for confrontation, and always just generally feels like the protector of the group.

Azusa Murasaka - The happy-go-lucky one of the group, her parents own a bakery, and she's always super excited and supportive of Naho.

Saku Hagita - Manga lover in the group, who is also totally in love with Azu!

Hiroto Suwa - Honestly one of the best characters, and most selfless humans, I've read about in years. He's the leader of this group, one of the most popular boys in their school, an amazing soccer player, and proves his unconditional love over and love throughout this volume.

I could probably writes sonnets at this point about how much I love Suwa, and how I honestly just want him, Naho, and Kakeru to have a polya relationship where they all love each other, but this whole group of friends is amazing. I love their group dynamic and how they interact individually, too. They are all selfless, to be honest, and they all truly want what is best for their friends. They are a great support system for one another, and I love seeing them build and boost each other up.

This manga series is also important, because it never shies away from the topic of suicide. It brings up great points, especially for high school aged kids, about how sometimes when friends joke about death, they aren't really joking and to always take them seriously. On the flip side, it is also important to understand that sometimes the saddest people will mask their feelings with smiles and laughter, so always check in on the ones you love and make sure they are feeling okay.

The art is beautiful, the story is lovely, and the messages are so very important. I loved everything about this, and I cannot wait to start the anime after I finish Vol. 2.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Orange.

June 18, 2016 – Shelved
May 26, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
May 27, 2017 – Shelved as: sci-fi
May 27, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 4, 2017 – Shelved as: sports

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by Tweebs♥️ (new)

Tweebs♥️ this such a beautiful manga. I hope you love it, Mel :)))))

also i highly recommend you watch the anime as well !!

Melanie Tweebs☯ wrote: "this such a beautiful manga. I hope you love it, Mel :)))))

also i highly recommend you watch the anime as well !!"

Ahhh, now I'm even more excited! Thank you so much, love, I have pretty high hopes for both! 💕xx

message 3: by Petrik (new)

Petrik I didn't know you were reading this manga! this is a good one Mel, the messages inside this little series is important! great review Mel, enjoy the rest! :)

Melanie Petrik wrote: "I didn't know you were reading this manga! this is a good one Mel, the messages inside this little series is important! great review Mel, enjoy the rest! :)"

I try to read one manga or light novel a month, but this one was so good! Easily one of my all time favorites! Thank you so much, love! I have very high hopes for Vol. 2! 💖xx

Rachael I love this manga series! I literally read all of it and watched the whole anime in one day... I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much! (I love Suwa too, he's such a great and dynamic character).

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I have this on my Amazon wishlist =) xo ♥

Melanie Rachael wrote: "I love this manga series! I literally read all of it and watched the whole anime in one day... I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much! (I love Suwa too, he's such a great and dynamic character)."

You are a freakin' superstar, Rachael! I can't wait to finish book two and then watch the anime! I seriously get so lucky with reading 5/5 mangas. I only wish my gift carried over with regular books, haha! ❤ xo

Melanie Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "I have this on my Amazon wishlist =) xo ♥"

You will LOVE it, Mel! Seriously, all the feels and so freakin' good! Ahhh! ❤ xo

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I can't wait until I can get it! There are so many things I want to get off my wish list but have to wait until almost the end of June. Arrggg, if only I could win the lottery. Lol ! =) xo ♥

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Lovely review Melanie! = D xx

Melanie Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "I can't wait until I can get it! There are so many things I want to get off my wish list but have to wait until almost the end of June. Arrggg, if only I could win the lottery. Lol ! =) xo ♥"

Girl, this is me! Haha! 💖xx

Melanie SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Lovely review Melanie! = D xx"

Thank you so very much, Sue! 💖xx

message 13: by Talía (new)

Talía Ahh I remember watching the anime and having TOO MANY feelings lol It was really good, I´ll deff check this one :) Great review Mel!

message 14: by ✰ Liz ✰ (new)

✰ Liz ✰ Fab review! :)

Melanie Talía wrote: "Ahh I remember watching the anime and having TOO MANY feelings lol It was really good, I´ll deff check this one :) Great review Mel!"

Awh, thank you so much, Talía. It's seriously a hidden gem! 💖xx

Melanie Elizabeth wrote: "Fab review! :)"

Thank you so much, Elizabeth! 💖xx

KatieLou 'a sweet little cinnamon roll' is the best description of Naho ever! And this review is everything I wanted to say. 💙💚💛💜

message 18: by Elyse (new) - added it

Elyse  Walters LOVE THIS REVIEW... and I know I would adore these.

You my dear ... are sooooo darling!!!! Thank you 💕💕💕

Melanie KatieLou wrote: "'a sweet little cinnamon roll' is the best description of Naho ever! And this review is everything I wanted to say. 💙💚💛💜"

Hehehe! I just finished Vol. 2 and it's even more fitting! BEST BOY! Ahhhh! 💗xx

Melanie Elyse wrote: "LOVE THIS REVIEW... and I know I would adore these.

You my dear ... are sooooo darling!!!! Thank you 💕💕💕"

Awh, Elyse, you are so darling yourself! So thankful for your friendship! 💗xx

Alethea I AM LATE BUT YES I LOVE SUWA TOO. What an amazing guy. Really want him to have a happy ending, whether it's with Naho or someone else. He just deserves it.