Stephanie's Reviews > Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet

Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet by H.P. Wood

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read 2 times. Last read June 18, 2016 to July 1, 2016.

I received this book through Net Galley.

Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet was a wonderful story. I really felt for many of the characters and their journey. I even loved the weird and mystical Curiosity Cabinet, which was a character too. The Cabinet and Timur's inventions reminded me a bit of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Because of that magical feeling I put aside some of my reservations about the end and how quickly some characters recovered.

They say write what you know and it shows. The author is the granddaughter of a mad inventor and a sideshow magician. I also loved the author's notes about what was historically accurate and what was historical fiction. I am interested in looking into some of her recommendations that helped her writing.

I have family in Brooklyn near Coney Island, so I have spent time there, and I loved reading the descriptions of the place. It felt like home and I became giddy as I recognized the places.

When Hoffman Island and Swinburne Island were mentioned I knew exactly where they were. In the early 1900s, the islands were used as a quarantine station, housing immigrants found to have been carrying contagious diseases when they landed at Ellis Island.

Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet is a spectacular story and definitely worth reading, especially if you like magical and anything Unusual.

4 out 5 Boxing Kangaroos
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magruder's Curiosity Cabinet.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
March 28, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
June 18, 2016 – Started Reading
June 28, 2016 –
page 284
July 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 5, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction
August 5, 2017 – Shelved as: historical-fiction (Paperback Edition)