Lola 's Reviews > The Hidden Oracle

The Hidden Oracle by Rick Riordan

bookshelves: mythology, adventure, urban-fantasy

Yesterday, he was the mighty and melodious Apollo, son of Zeus. Today, he is Lester Papadopoulos, a mere, ungifted mortal.

There’s only one thing for him to do now: join the demigods at Camp Half-Blood.

What makes The Hidden Oracle incredibly interesting is Apollo himself. Yes, he is one narcissistic personage with high standards and a peculiar appreciation for poetry.

And, yes, he is tremendously flawed, there is no denying that. But funnily enough, that’s what makes him so likeable.

Plus, there is nothing more endearing than seeing a god care for his half-human offspring. Apollo is very protective when it comes to his children and friends.

No one can say that he only cares about himself.

As usual with any Rick Riordan book, The Hidden Oracle is filled with adventure, action, danger, mythology, monstrous creatures, originality, friendship and fun moments!

My qualm? It acts too much as the spin-off to The Heroes of Olympus, which is a series I could not bring myself to finish.

It can be read without having any knowledge of the aforementioned series, but there are countless of mentions of characters from it—many are actually part of this new series as well.

My suggestion is that you at least read the first book in The Heroes of Olympus if you have the time, for the author does not present the old characters in grand detail; he basically assumes we are already acquainted with them.

The Hidden Oracle is a highly entertaining new series containing a large set of characters and many adventures. It plunges the god of music, prophecy and healing, Apollo, into a dozen cut-throat situations.

I read it in a single day and look extremely forward to the sequel.

Blog | Youtube | Twitter | Instagram | Google+ | Bloglovin’

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Oracle.

June 18, 2016 – Started Reading
June 18, 2016 – Shelved
June 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

Joyce ☘ clutteredbooks ☘ lol I still haven't moved on from the 4th book in the PJ series!

message 2: by nicklein (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:45PM) (new) - added it

nicklein I'm so excited for this but I'm still not done with Blood of Olympus. *sobs*

What a beautiful review Lola! :----D

message 3: by DJ (new)

DJ One day, this series will be mine.

Donita Luz I'm still reading this book! And yes Apollo's charm is overwhelming! lol. The Haikus were also hilarious! :)

Nicay Magnate Great review, Lola! I miss reading your review and you too! ^^

message 6: by Aadivah (new) - added it

Aadivah I so can't wait to get to this but k want to wait until I reread The Heroes of Olympus because I forgot everything that happened in it.

message 7: by Khadijah (new) - added it

Khadijah nice review! now i'm looking forward to reading it, as i was apprehensive about how small it is compared to Riordan's more recent books and how unoriginal his characters are becoming (to me, at least).

message 8: by OrangePaw (new) - added it

OrangePaw i love rick riordan

Lola Kathleen wrote: "lol I still haven't moved on from the 4th book in the PJ series!"

Lol!

Lola Nicklein wrote: "I'm so excited for this but I'm still not done with Blood of Olympus. *sobs*

What a beautiful review Lola! :----D"

Thank you! Meh, didnt finish that one.

Lola DJ wrote: "One day, this series will be mine."

Hmmmm

Lola Donita wrote: "I'm still reading this book! And yes Apollo's charm is overwhelming! lol. The Haikus were also hilarious! :)"

Lol yeah!! Glad you're liking it! :)

Lola Nicay ✘ ❝thenerdysideofaqueen™❞ wrote: "Great review, Lola! I miss reading your review and you too! ^^"

Awww you're cute!

Lola Birchsilver wrote: "Apollo is one of the most awesomest characters in the series so far!
Excellent review. ^·^"

Definitely! Thank you :D

Lola Aadivah wrote: "I so can't wait to get to this but k want to wait until I reread The Heroes of Olympus because I forgot everything that happened in it."

You just need to remember the ending and the characters :D

Lola Khadijah wrote: "nice review! now i'm looking forward to reading it, as i was apprehensive about how small it is compared to Riordan's more recent books and how unoriginal his characters are becoming (to me, at lea..."

I mean, I could never give any of his books 5 stars, but they're fun :) Not all of his characters are original, true.

Lola orangepie wrote: "i love rick riordan"

Cool :)

message 18: by George (new) - added it

George Jankovic Awesome review, Lola. Like you, I haven't read all of the Heroes books. I'm sure I didn't get the overlapping characters as much as those who have, but it didn't seem to matter all that much.

I loved how colorful Apollo was as a character. :-)

message 19: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (seetheworldwithbooks) My friend also says Apollo becomes such a narcissist here lmao :) I hope it'd be as funny as RR's other books! Amazing review Lola dear!:)

Mairenn I'm excited to read this because I've read so many good reviews about this book and about Apollo himself. I'm glad that I don't need to finish the Heroes of Olympus Series before I jump into this one since I haven't read the last two books =D ...and nice review Lola! :)

Aditi Powerful review :-)

message 22: by Maya (new)

Maya Fantastic review, hun! :)

Emer (A Little Haze) Great review Lola

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam Great review, Lola :)

Lola Thank you so much!!

Lola George, I'm glad that didn't bother you! Oh yeah, definitely, Apollo is a breath of fresh air!

I'd say that it's even funnier than his other books, Cookie :D!

message 27: by Ayesha (new) - added it

Ayesha Wonderful review, Lola! ^^

Lola Thank you! :)

message 29: by Monique (new) - added it

Monique V I am trying to finish the here of Olympus to jump straight into this one. You are a great reviewer by the way, your reviews always convey all your feelings and that is what I like in reviews.

Aj the Ravenous Reader Wonderful review, Lola. I'm looking forward to reading this too. <3

Gieliza Apollo! I love him! Haha. I can't wait to read the next book. You're right tho, it's difficult to come into this book without prior knowledge of the previous series.

message 32: by Exina (new)

Exina Nice review, Lola!

Lola Thank you!!

message 34: by Dali (new)

Dali Glad you enjoyed it Lola. I kind of lost track of Rick R. but did enjoy his Percy Jackson series very much :)

Lola Yeah, he's a but like Cassandra Clare with his series. Spin-off after spin-off, so when you lose interest, it's hard to go back. Glad you like PJ though :D