Kelly Roll's Reviews > Gideon's Sword

F 50x66
May 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: listened-to

The authors have done their usual fine job of creating an intricate plot as well as throwing in lotsand lots of fast moving action. The story is that of Gideon Crew, who as a young man, had watched his father gunned down. As an adult he is called to his mother’s bedside who tells him that his father was framed and to take revenge on the individuals responsible. Gideon does so in short order, well within the first third of the book. I was somewhat surprised by this as I expected this to be the entire book. However, we then discover that a mysterious private company wishes to hire Gideon to retrieve information about a weapon from a Chinese scientist fleeing to the United States. Gideon must get the information before the Chinese assassin following the scientist gets ahold of it. Things do not go according to plan and many, many twists and turns follow.
Ultimately I was disappointed in the book. I felt Gideon to be a somewhat unlikable protagonist and I also missed the use of more supporting characters that these authors tend to use in their Pendergast books. I also felt that John Glover’s voice might not have been the best one to bring this character to life. I generally love John Glover’s narration. I cannot recommend his reading of Bradbury’s” From the Dust Returned” highly enough – but in this case I think I wanted someone with a rougher, more westerny type of voice. Glover’s voice was a little tool cultured for me in this instance. This is strictly my personal opinion and is in no way meant to imply that Glover is not a good reader. Technically his narration was just fine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gideon's Sword.