Audra (Unabridged Chick)'s Reviews > Don't Breathe a Word

Don't Breathe a Word by Jennifer  McMahon

To put it bluntly, I had a great time with this book. Every chapter ended with a literal gasp-out-loud moment, the characters were totally real, and the creepiness of this book insidious and addictive. This was one of the most engrossing seven days I've had with a book in a long while, and the only reason it took me so long to read was that I a) couldn't read it at night without freaking myself out and b) wanted to prolong the pleasure.

I hesitate to say much more because the story moves so quickly -- alternating chapters between now and fifteen years ago, leading up to the day when the girl disappears -- and I don't want to give away a thing. I will admit, however, that for a while, the heroine Phoebe and I had a rocky relationship which impeded my enjoyment a smidgen. I found her a bit aggravating and self-destructive and it wasn't until I realized she was displaying some classic ACOA (Adult Child of Alcoholic) behavior that I felt more sympathetic.

All the characters in the book felt very real, even the secondary characters, and it was easy to keep track of the cast (not enormous, but large). The writing is so effortless, you race along (thanks to the pacing, too) and the next thing you know, you're halfway through the book and it's getting dark. I think this would be an absolutely perfect read for the summer. McMahon was a new-to-me author so I'm very excited to pick up her other three books -- I feel a summertime fling coming on!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Don't Breathe a Word.

May 10, 2011 – Shelved
May 18, 2011 – Started Reading
May 18, 2011 –
page 46
10.29% "omg, so shivery scary already!!"
May 18, 2011 –
page 85
19.02% "OHMYGOD this book went from pretty good to effing awesome!"
May 19, 2011 –
page 133
29.75% "Want MORE reading time, not less!! Also, I am v sick of otherwise proactive heroines becoming very passive during pregnancy scares. I am not sure I can take 300 more pages of omg-I-might-be-pregnant-but-I-won't-get-a-test-or-tell-the-babydaddy-for-some-nebulous-unnecessary-reason."
May 20, 2011 –
page 193
43.18% "Lady, your self righteous indignation over your boyfriend ignoring you loses some oomph when we remember you've moved someone into his house against his wishes, engage in high school hijinks with clearly nefarious character, & continue to lie abt your pregnancy."
May 23, 2011 –
page 339
75.84% "just dawned on me that heroine is classic ACOA. i suppose i forgive her now of totally aggravating & self-destructive behavior."
May 23, 2011 – Finished Reading
May 24, 2011 –
page 464
100% "I wondered how on earth McMahon could wrap up this book and I'm pretty impressed! CRAZY!"
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: heroine-unlikable
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: mood-dark-and-twisted
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: mood-evocative
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: mysteries
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: secret-identities
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: sense-of-place
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: skeletons-in-the-closet
May 26, 2011 – Shelved as: place-new-england

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine gah! Can't wait to read this!!!

Audra (Unabridged Chick) This book had me in its thrall for days (obviously) - my review (with giveaway) is live tomorrow!!

message 3: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine Yay!!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) looking forward to reading your review!