Claire's Reviews > The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

liked it

I give this book points for originality! 3.5 stars

Earlier this year I read and loved Jane Steele by Lyndsay Faye . A fellow book blogger suggested I might like to give The Eyre Affair a try, and I'm glad I did because, overall, it's a fun read.

However, unlike Jane Steele, you really do need to have read Jane Eyre to get much from The Eyre Affair. A lot of the humour, not to mention some significant plot points, hinge on you having prior knowledge of the plot of Jane Eyre.

This book has one of the most inventive speculative fiction set-ups I've come across for a while. However, I do wonder if it's a bit too clever for its own good. And after the fifth "comedy" character name, I reached saturation point.

Definitely one for fans of literature and mysteries with a tolerance for the bizarre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Eyre Affair.

June 18, 2016 – Shelved
June 18, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
November 14, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Faith Rivens It is a unique book. Glad you thought it was a fun read. The rest of the series dips, but the originality of the first is worth discovering.

Claire Faith wrote: "It is a unique book. Glad you thought it was a fun read. The rest of the series dips, but the originality of the first is worth discovering."
It's definitely worth checking out. The "otherness" of the present described, which revolves around art and literature, is so different!

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Forth I loved all of Jasper Fforde's books, especially Lost in a Good Book. I love his inventive mind and all the quirky names. I'm sure I don't get all the clever references, but love the ones I do.

Claire My sister has been encouraging me to continue with the series as she says the books get better and better. I must make time for it! :-)

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn Forth I think they do, but they are all a very 'rich' read. Like plum pudding, you need to leave space between each helping, I think.