Marjorie's Reviews > Pond

Pond by Claire-Louise Bennett

This is a unique book basically consisting of a series of meditations by a woman who is living a fairly solitary life. She’s mostly alone but does have contact with some friends and even throws a party. Her musings are sometimes humorous and sometimes sad. Some of the chapters are very short, only a few sentences as she not only describes her days but thinks back on her past.

For those of you looking for a good plot, this wouldn’t be the book for you. To give you an idea, the first chapter is about what’s best to eat for breakfast and how to arrange fruit in a bowl to give a pleasing appearance. What I admired about the book is the author’s very intimate portrayal of this woman and her daily life. It’s pure poetry and I felt such a connection to this character. Her solitary life has slowed her down to the point where she can appreciate the little things in life instead of, as most of the rest of us, rushing around missing so much. Yet there was a sadness and loneliness in her that was very touching.

There were a couple of chapters that seemed to be no more than incoherent ramblings or else I just didn’t understand what she was thinking. But all in all, I enjoyed this slow-moving, thoughtful book. The book slowed me down, too, as I savored every word. The author has treated her readers to an insight into this woman’s mind and heart and has painted an artistic portrait of a solitary woman in words alone.

This book was given to me by the publisher through First to Read in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pond.

June 17, 2016 – Started Reading
June 17, 2016 – Shelved
June 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hogarth Think I shall give it a go. I need to slow down my own writing. Thanks
Sandy

Marjorie Sandy wrote: "Think I shall give it a go. I need to slow down my own writing. Thanks
Sandy"

I'd be very interested in hearing what you think of it, Sandy. I hope you enjoy it. It's very different.

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy Hogarth I enjoyed it Marjorie, once I got into it. Some stories esp: the 3 line Stir Fry, Oh Tomato Puree and the last - Old Ground. All short.
Her writing is compelling and superb.

Marjorie Sandy wrote: "I enjoyed it Marjorie, once I got into it. Some stories esp: the 3 line Stir Fry, Oh Tomato Puree and the last - Old Ground. All short.
Her writing is compelling and superb."

Oh, I'm so glad you liked it, Sandy! Thanks for letting me know. She pulled me in right away when she was describing the joy of arranging fruit in a bowl and how the light touched it on the windowsill because I find that very pleasurable myself. Quite a unique book.

Cheri Lovely review, Marjorie! I struggled so much for the right way to try and describe this book, to share how lovely it would be to the right reader, but knowing that was not everyone, as well. I will *always* think of the description of the joy of arranging the fruit in the bowl in the windowsill... a lovely mental rambling that a lot of people can relate to. Pleasure in the small things in life.

Marjorie Cheri wrote: "Lovely review, Marjorie! I struggled so much for the right way to try and describe this book, to share how lovely it would be to the right reader, but knowing that was not everyone, as well. I will..."

Thanks, Cheri. This was indeed a very lovely and unique book, but yes, hard to describe. It's a book that needs to be experienced.

Cheri Well put, Marjorie!

John Thanks for a clear summary!