Rhiannon Ryder's Reviews > Amaretto Flame

Amaretto Flame by Sammie Spencer

May 10, 2011

It's been ages since I've read a good witch book. Sounds weird right? But what's the last witch book you can think of, other than Harry Potter or Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches series? (Don't get me wrong, Anne Rice's Mayfair witch books are not up there in my league of good witch books, only one of the few books I can think of about witches.)

Sammie Spencer has corrected the situation, she's gifted YA readers with her Eagleton Coven, Amaretto Flame ebook.

Synopsis from Goodreads:
Olivia has spent her life learning about her enemies, the deadly Venator - including how to kill them. What she knows nothing about is whiskey, playing poker, or rugged, copper-haired musicians. As punishment for a small 'crime,' Olivia is sent to a safe house in a human town and forced to live as one of them for a summer. There, she meets the charming Jackson Vance, and her real education begins. She soon discovers that she's being hunted, and figuring out why means she uncovers a secret that threatens to end everything she's ever fought for.

I have to say I agree with Rick Riordan, the realm of ebooks have brought on a tidal wave of books badly in need of an editor. In fact, after reading several of them in the past couple of years I think I have come to appreciate the job editors do far more than I ever would have without being an author myself. Without a doubt I had almost given up, until Amaretto Flame landed in my lap.

Fast paced, full of intriguing mysteries and equally intriguing characters, Sammie Spencer had me flipping through pages at an alarming rate. I loved her Venator twist to the witch genre, and especially when she begins to delve into who they are and how they developed. And not a typo, nonsensical paragraph or mysterious plot hole to be found! But more than anything I loved Olivia.

Very powerful, but very screwed up, Olivia is sort of like the female Edward. In fact Amaretto Flame had a lot of similarities to Twilight (more so Midnight Sun if it was finished). Small town, oddly matched love story, big trouble looming and best of all an unpretentious main character. At 2.99$ for the Kindle upload you cannot go wrong. A great read that I've already talked other friends into reading, all I can do now is cross my fingers and hope Sammie Spencer has more on the way!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amaretto Flame.